X-Carve Workspace Showcase

I finally got my torsion top table together, minus the mdf top as yet, for my soon to be shipping X-1000!

I repurposed the 2x4 concrete forms I used last weekend to pour a sidewalk from the house to the shop.
the lower frame is those 2x4’s half lapped at the corners to make four square frames, two shorter than the others to allow for a 42x 42 in under assembly the top is 1x4 stock ripped and jointed to consistent width and glue and screwed together,skinned so far with 3/4" cdx ply. next is the 3/4 mdf top and the X-carve!

I am designing a computer stand to fit between the X-1000 and the workbench, hopefully it will be done before the machine shows up!

3 Likes

I

Getting colose…just have a little wiring to do

9 Likes

Crisp lines on the laser work !

1 Like

Thanks Jk…me and my buddy built our own laser engravers…

Is a torsion top like this really necessary? Seems a bit overkill. Looks great though!

Take this with a grain of salt, since I don’t have one of these yet, and when I do I’m not planning on putting it on a torsion box. But, all the research I’ve done on this and other DIY CNC says that base rigidity is a key component to accuracy, and eventually speed. The bigger, faster, stronger machines use a lot of steel to get there bases as stiff as possible, and adding mass doesn’t hurt either. I think a torsion box probably accomplishes a lot of the same things, and is more practical for most of us. And if I’m seeing a lot of wobble on my base as the machine is moving in rapids, this is probably a step I would take to remedy that. And when you look at it most DIY CNC machines are not that much bigger, then the 1000x1000. Several are only 4’x4’ and still use Nema 23 motors, although with higher torque.

2 Likes

To the extent that I did it with the diagonals? Probably not. but I had the matrerials an time so I figured, WTH? :wink:

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation guys! I still have to build my table so I’m trying to gather as much info as possible.

Its not finished yet, the best is still to come, drawers, trimming and some bells and whistles!! But here is what I have done so far!!i

Huh wouldn’t upload my pic from my phone!! Have to do it on the computer I guess

OK here it is

2 Likes

Looks good, very fancy! What kind of finish did you use on it?

I used Wipe-on Polyurethane ( 3 coats on top, 2 coats everywhere else) and then 1 coat of Johnsons Paste Wax!

1 Like

Finally got finished the bulk of my build. I have limited space in the garage for my machine so I made it mobile. I also needed an enclosure to keep dust down.

I laminated 4" strip of 5/8" strip of MDF for my torsion top. Overkill but because it’s on wheels I wanted to make sure nothing moves. Table top is 44 1/4 by 48

8 Likes

Nice cabinet unit! Is that redwood or aromatic cedar or???

And there is no such thing as overkill when it comes to mobile torsion tops, unless it’s no longer mobile.
Being able to move it is good, twisting/racking is not.

Thanks. It’s western red cedar.

The rigidity keeps driving me nuts though. I know it’s flat and sturdy but I keep finding out that the floor isn’t as flat as it looks as certain areas cause the unit to rock.

If the table is lifting one wheel as you travel across the floor, most likely the able isn’t racking or twisting.
The enclosure you have on top will add to the ridigity of the table as will the sheathing on the bottom.

Run a string line across both diagonals and watch them as you move the table about. if they dont loosen up or get tighter in the process, life is good.

Once you get it to the working location you can use building shims, available cheaply at most hardware stores and lumberyards, to support any floating wheels.

finally got a home for my x carve

6 Likes

I like your undershelf for the power supply, I may need to incorporate something like that once mine shows up.

Love the setup @badwolf it looks nice and clean.