X-Carve Workspace Showcase

thanks in hindsight i wish i would have made the shelf come all the way to the front of the legs. i wasnt really thinking when i made it though. just kind of threw it together to have a place for the power box

1 Like

thanks its really easy to make too

with it set back behind the legs though you are less likely to hit the wires and connectors with your legs when doing setups etc.

Here are some follow-up pictures and video of my X-Carve on the fold-up workstation. It folds up well and I’ve already had a few occasions where I had to fold it up. The hold-down blocks keep it from moving at all. I added a small cage underneath the front for the power supply so it can fold up with the table. Now that I can measure the exact dimensions of the X-Carve, I may reduce the size of the table to save space. I will most likely leave it down and ready to run, but it’s nice to have the option to fold it up If needed. The table seems to be flat, but will find that out when I test a larger project. I expect to have to shim the legs since my floor is uneven to get it to be flat. Click here to see my follow-up video.

4 Likes

I think this may call for an animated gif?

6 Likes

Absolutely @Zach_Kaplan ! LOL

27 Likes

<3 omg so slick!

@SteveCarmichael - I was wondering why you had cut the inside bottoms of the front legs that way, since in the static pictures I could not see that the bolt would hit it otherwise. So at least now with the gif I can see why you did that. Interesting way to save some space. Nice design.

This is hella cool, man! Please keep us posted on how the machine does in the long-run as far as staying calibrated with all of this movement. I’m working with limited space, so something like this may end up being an option for me.

1 Like

Great Job Steve!

@SteveCarmichael you are my hero

2 Likes

Ok, my setup isn’t as cool as some of those I see here, (@SteveCarmichael that is so cool) but its heavy and will fit my 1000mm x 610mm X-Carve perfectly, just as soon as the parts come in :wink:

There is a lot of electronics/mechanical/military surplus here in San Diego so I generally try to recycle and reuse as much as I can. The table top is a surplus Melles Griot optical bench and it weighs about 90 lbs by itself. The holes on the top are all 1/4-20 and will come in handy I’m sure.

The table was in fairly rough shape when I got it and I still have some finishing work to do on it. I spent some time sanding, cleaning, and priming the top. I still need to finish sanding and then a final coat of black to finish it up.

-John

1 Like

The power supply/arduino/gshield is gonna look awfully puny in that electrical panel. you’ll need to add some nonsensical lights and doodads to impress the ladies!

2 Likes

ladies do love the doodads!

Impressive @SteveCarmichael . Can you make me one?

That won’t be a problem @JkWestphal, I’m not using the gshield, or an arduino for that matter. I used a more industrial approach: a 6-axis breakout board, 3 stepper motor drivers, a large heatsink to mount the stepper drivers on, and a power supply. When everything gets install in the cabinet, it will be full enough :wink: All of this connects via a parallel port to a computer running LinuxCNC…

Here’s my set up. A small area in my garage that already had plenty of things there. Decided to build a bench over my existing trolleys.

The X-Carve is sitting next to my BlackTooth Laser Cutter. Have been using Fusion360 to drive my Laser for 6 months now. The learning curve to move to 2.5D milling is quite steep but fascinating!

3 Likes

Nice setup @AndrewGemmell

1 Like

Very nice setup @AndrewGemmell. I like that everything is on wheels and tucks away under the bench. Very clean! I am curious though, what are the arcade buttons for, just below the monitor.

2 Likes

pac man while the machine is running?

2 Likes