X-Carve Workspace Showcase

That looks great. I really like the full extension slides

At least there is sawdust on the floor.

1 Like

Really nice drawer!! Where did you get your slides?

My little setup. Nothing fancy on the table, but good and sturdy. I’ve been very happy with the setup. Machine can be run locally, or via remote in case I want to go inside and relax for a while. Same table holds a 65cm x 50cm laser engraver, 3D printer, and off to the side is a vinyl cutter/plotter. Next up is a CNC 3D hotwire foam carver.

2 Likes

This may have been said a while back but how tall are those rail protectors?

Quick question for those who built torsion boxes for their setup. Any one ever try using metal beams they use for commercial framing? They are very light and sturdy when assembled.

Yeah, work site dumpsters are the best place to find mats for building tables. Nothing better than dumpster diving.

While my table legs did not specifically come from a construction dumpster, (I first used them to form a sidewalk to my shop) I agree that a great many things can be obtained from them.
A company I worked for did crating and containerization of various thing from parts and pieces to entire business assests and on place that we were cleaning out and packing up was tossing all manner of good stuff into the dumpster. I retrieved a set of 4" and 6" aluminum rulers that still are used in my shop to this day as well as a number of other things i cant immediately recall.
Its true, “one mans junk is another mans treasure”

I can’t say for certain, I just moved the gantry to one end and cut them to size, leaving maybe 1/8"-1/4" of gap under the gantry.

Here’s my soundproof enclosure for my 1000mm X-Carve. It was finished about a year ago but thought I’d share. It is built using OSB, MDF, and denim insulation. The top is currently used for storage as my workroom is very space constrained. If I were to build it all over again would spend a little extra to make it out of aluminum extrusions and Roxul Rockboard insulation. All I need to do now is put in RGB LEDs and a DIY Tesla Powerwall to power it!

5 Likes

My 1500x1000mm machine is almost ready to rock and roll. I installed the drag chains, calibrated, and squared it this weekend. It’s ready to start milling. The only thing left to do on the cabinet is the front door, which will be a vertically sliding panel. That’ll be next weekend’s project.

8 Likes

easily my favorite thread in the community, you guys all give great inspiration…
this is my current setup, it is enclosed with a piston lift lid, i can get to all sides of the machine easily and has 2 windows for viewing… i also insulated the box for sound dampening using some closed cell polystyrene insulation and it is very quite, could probably use it inside the house if i wanted, and of course having it enclosed helps with dust! i have the vacuum hooked up to a hose which reaches all corners of the machine so i can vacuum after my projects, i didnt like having it mounted to the carriage because it was giving some deflection and causing issues with accuracy on the x axis…
like some others, i re-purposed a filing cabinet we had and am able to close down the machine and lock my laptop up as well as machine controls… i will eventually get around to closing in the bottom metal frame with sliding doors for access…
this is the 1000x1000 xcarve with a 3.8 jtech laser! great combo!
thank you guys for sharing your knowledge and time!

edit: now im looking my setup compared to some of yalls and i have to finish the sides and get some paint on it… you guys are killer…

5 Likes

How do you all deal with heat build up and dust collection in these enclosures?

I’ve actually thought about adding a old pc fan towards the back to use as an exhaust fan… my unit is not completely airtight but it does generate heat if left closed for longer durations… I guess I’ve just gotten into the habit of walking over and lifting the top periodically to check progress, not a bad habit since cnc shouldn’t be running unattended anyways! I also have some small 50mmx20mm heatsinks on each stepper motor, very cheap and I’m hoping it will prolong the life under such conditions!

as for dust collection, I have the hose in the back that I use to clean once the project is done, no need to clean the workspace after every pass, that Dewalt router has a fan that blows down onto the work surface giving a clean cut path anyways!

Wow, i like that. Any chance you saved the Easel file for the bit storage? I’ve been toying with combing all my stuff to one or two nice drawers like that, just can’t seem to get a good layout, that one is very well done.

Hey everybody…

I finally have my machine running, just going through the motions of getting it dialed in. I thought I’d share some pics of my enclosure… it’s 18mm plywood, with fireproof acoustic foam baffling, the Inventables/Fein dust extraction system (with a cyclone bucket added for longer dust extractor filter life), LED lighting, and a switchboard to run the controller, spindle, dust extractor on/off, etc… It’s super quiet!

I also made a peltier cooling system to blow cold air into the spindle (with dedicated programmable thermostats for both the intake fan, outlet fan, and the peltier itself), but so far I haven’t needed it, so I’ll hold off installation of that until I have run the machine all day with the door closed and logged the temperatures.

Hope whatever project you’re working on is turning out right!

23 Likes

Brian, that is awesome!

Very nice!

1 Like

I hope that top is easy to take off. so you can work on it.
Not to mention I can’t wait to see it after you carve some stuff up. those walls will change color. hehe

Looks great too.

1 Like