X-Carve Workspace Showcase

The top front section flips up, I’ve included a pic of it with the hatch open. My dust extraction system is working like a dream, I’ve been carving solidly for about 4 days now, and I can’t see any dust on the foam at all. I highly recommend that dust extraction setup Inventables is selling.

I meant what if you need to get to the back of the machine. Does the whole top come off for working on areas not in the front where you have that door. Or if you have it so you can slide the machine out that would work too.

Yeah, I can just unplug the cables and slide it out.

well I am finally close to the end, I now have an enclosure for the X carve that is located in the basement. The main challenge I had in building this was making something to hold up but also something that can move. Unlike most of you guys I move every 3 years (+/-) so I needed something that would collapse so it can be packed. So pretty much build this in a way that everything comes apart in some way. The four walls of the base come apart and can be stacked on top of each other, the top box can pretty much do the same, the torsion box lifts off of the base, basically everything comes apart. the only thing I have left to do is make the cut outs for all the tools and bits and get some pistons to hold up the door. I made a insulated compartment for the shop vac in the bottom section along with some storage space for the Xcarve boxes I need for when I move.

11 Likes

I have had the x-carve about a year, but due to health not really had a chance to use it. I recently made the enclosure and thought I would share it here as my take on this seems a little different.
The x-carve is in a room on an old desk. Noise and dust were main factors in this design, also a desire to do things simply and cheaply.
The enclosure is made from common 3" thick styrene blocks cut with a home made hot wire cutter, held together with wood kebab sticks and glue. The styrene blocks were covered with corflute sheet held on by glue and sewing pins, finally all corners were taped with duct tape. The window is 8mm thick glass (glass sliding door from an old sideboard). I put egg cartons in the top half to defuse sound (I thought it may bounce around inside the box).
I picked up every thing free (one mans junk…). I just paid for the glue, duct tape. kebab sticks and sewing pins.

Keeping things simple, I decided to mount corflute to the rails with valcro tape, this allows movement if there is contact and also easy removal for cleaning.

The motor and belt pulley dust covers are x-carve component packaging attached to the plate by a bulldog clip, lol, simple but effective.

The entire enclosure if very light and can be picked up to access the machine for maintenance and upgrades. Next upgrades are air cooling and a mount for the dial indicator (I want to get the bed a bit more level).

6 Likes

do you notice the difference with the egg boxes? Its something i thought about but haven’t done.

It is quiet, but I am unsure how much of that is due to the egg cartons, or the 3" styrene box.

This, my friend, is beautiful!

Great job!

Thank you DamnitJim, while making brackets for a dial indicator, despite it being nice and quiet, I found 3 things:

1. It heats up in there, so a fan/vent is required I think.
  2. Messy, I am making a dust boot next. I plan on milling both wood and aluminum and think a dust boot will be required when doing wood ( I have an air cooler hose for alu, just not set up yet).
  3. It is fun tinkering and learning.

I love how inventive everyone is getting when putting there x-carve in there apartment :slight_smile:

Now
amazon
apple
disney
google
harley daivdson
hewlett-packard
lotus cars
maglite

all started in garages not apartments lol move on out to that new rent house :slight_smile:

1 Like

That looks awesome! Is that the 1000 X 1000? It looks like you have the same idea on having the smallest amount of space around the machine and having storage and computer space off to the side designated so as not to create a clutter. What are the dimensions of your table top?

Sorry for the late reply - I haven’t been around much (which is a bummer, because I love hanging out over here!)

The actual table top portion that I made was 3’-6 1/2" x 3’-6 1/2" and then has an edge made of 1x’s. However, that was before the X-controller, so I would probably make it slightly wider in one direction to accomodate the controller and the extra spoilboard for the controller.

If I didn’t attach it above, I’ve attached an exploded view that has dimensions on it, if that helps!CNC Table Exploded.pdf (368.7 KB)

1 Like

No problem on the delay. I figure I still have about a week or two before I even order mine, I want to make sure I’ve got everything ready in the garage so I can assemble and play as soon as it gets in. The file definitely helps. Thanks a ton!

I forgot to post pics of the finished door on the 1500x1000 machine, so here it is.

This giant vertically sliding door is counter weighted with a couple garage door springs so I can lift it with one hand. it locks in place with a single bolt. I’ve also recently mounted my Festool dust collector inside the box, and routed the hoses through the top to a Dust Deputy attached to a 20 gallon yellow tub.

This weird arrangement was necessary because the room is only 10’x12’ and I have another large workbench off to the right in these photos, so there’s no room for swinging doors. This seemed like the simplest solution. It’s largely MacGyvered together, but at least it’s functional. :slight_smile:

20170924_225311

2 Likes

I’m late to the party on this thread, but my X-Carve paid for…another X-Carve…

3 Likes

Finally got a start on my work bench for the 1000mm. Just have to make the torsion box top , drawers, doors and casters or adjustable feet. 2 x 1160x 550 units back to back . Going to screw them together and screw the top to it

2 Likes

I am nearing completion of framing my enclosure. I’m building this on the fly with lots of scraps to empty my cutoff bins. It was inspired by Winston Moy’s recent enclosure video, then overbuilt as I am wont to do. I just need to finish the cabinet doors. The 1 1/2 inch wall cavities are packed with drywall and foam for extra mass.

2 Likes

Still have to add drawers to it, 1 half will be drawers and the other half open space.
Also need to clean out the garage so I can actually use the thing!!

2 Likes

I like the kid storage areas, for when they start getting in the way. :smile:

-edit-
Judge Dredd pinball machine, for those long carves? I approve! :smile:

4 Likes

Yeah just have to make sure she still isn’t in there when I put the drawers in.
Pin got moved from my study to the garage as it was too loud and would wake bubs up so did’t get to play it much. Now it’s in the garage where I can’t get to it so even less play. Hopefully I can reorganise everything and get the pin against a wall with room for a couple more. :smiley: