XCarve stops randomly

I fixed this problem (for me) by switching to a powered USB hub.

I just got a 900 watt ups that I am going to use. I have a powered USB hub too. Hope it helps or this x carve is going in the trash.

So I connected the UPS and installed Microsoft .NET framework 4.5.2. It could be a coincidence but the computer is running much better. Picture sender was always very responsive before I started sending gcode, but once I started sending the code to program was very slow. It would take 10 to 15 seconds to respond to the change in CFR. Even the pause button would take a few seconds to respond.

Do does anyone know if Microsoft . Net a required program for UGS or pic sender? For the arduino?

I am at 1hr, 50% on this code. So far so good. Maybe the UPS helped too. I have it now so itā€™s not going anywhere. Iā€™ll let you guys know if it continues you work.

1 Like

So after a two-hour 3D finishing carving. The xcarve performed flawlessly. I know this is only one job. But I think this problem is fixed. If it pops up again Iā€™m going direct to customer support. Thanks for the advice guys.

1 Like

The delays in response has to do with grblā€™s buffer, not PicSender. Here is information on how grbl works.

1 Like

I was having a similar problem but for a very different cause.

I recently switched to a tinyG controller and chillypeppr and have been having good results. I was trying to do a very simple carve of a cut file I had used before no problem, but the carve kept crashing. The XC shutting down completely, even shutting off the spindle (that should have been a big hint to me)

After 8 crashes resets or sometimes full re-boots I sort of finished the carve. The alignment errors from restarting made things not and nice as I would have liked but I worked with it. I was more worried that I may have a bad controller that the messed up cut.

Later, after thinking about it, I realized it was most likely a limit switch alarm and shutdown.
I was used to UGS actual listing an alarm error message when this happened. Apparently Chillypeppr or tinyG does not? Or at least not in a way I recognize.

Testing it, I air cut the file and tripped a switch. Sure enough, shutdown and lock up, same as before. I was not aware of anything having changed but I guess I was getting some noise on the switch wires? So I when into settings and disabled the limit switch function, setting it for homing only. I will have to do some more cuts and see if that fixed my issue.

@AaronMatthews

Set homing and soft limits. Once you do the homing sequence the switches are ignored. Soft limits will catch an out of bounds condition and raise an alarm.

1 Like

Well ladies and Gents, I would like to pronounce my XCARVE fixed. I have been able to run multiple programs through the machine. Some lasting as long as 6 hrs and the machine worked perfecty. I highly recommend you connect your machine to a UPS. I have the computer and the power supply to the xcarve connected to the UPS. I have the router connected directly to the wall outlet.

Picengravertoo gave the best advice.

If you stop and think about it, the xcarve cost as much as our big screen TVā€™s, they should be protected from brown outs and lighting strikes.

3 Likes

Never mind the problem is back.

What is your cooling situation? If memory serves, the stepper drivers used on the x-carve have thermal shutdown protection. If you are pushing them at or near full current without sufficient cooling, they will overheat and shut down.

1 Like

I have a mouse keyboard and Wi-Fi dongle.

I have a swamp cooler inside of the garage. Feels pretty nice. I have done the calibration on the motors. With an IR thermometer the motors hover around 90 degrees Fahrenheit. I donā€™t know what else to do I guess I can double check to make sure Iā€™m not pushing too much power to the motor is even though they donā€™t seem hot.

Yes the Wi-Fi is a small USB dongle looks like the really small memory card. And it is a desktop. I think what Iā€™m going to do is use the Wi-Fi to transfer over digicode and once itā€™s transferred over to the desktop I will disconnect the Wi-Fi dongle and see if that helps. At this point Iā€™m so frustrated Iā€™m not willing to experiment and buy a internal Wi-Fi card. I think disconnecting it after I turn to the code will Aid in troubleshooting

1 Like

I canā€™t get it to reconnect to the x-carve unless I reset the computer now

1 Like

Do you have a fan blowing over the gshield?

Nice, OK try that

I do

Yes fan is in the g shield

Do you still have to disable the Arduino port at times? Have you figured out what is the cause that is making it do that?

Iā€™ll get to do in this adjustment. Iā€™ll report back

1 Like