XCarve stops randomly

This could if been it. I adjusted the each of the POTZ down to 1.5ish. I was at or slightly above 1.6.

On a similar note I would measure the temperature of the grbl board as soon as I remove the fan. The temperature was between 105 and 110 degrees Fahrenheit. This is with the volts set at 1.5. would you guys mind checking what you have. I just used a IR thermometer.

1 Like

@TonyRamirez

You can check here to get more information on the Vref setting:

1 Like

I had this problem - solved it by running the USB for the Arduino through an externally powered USB hub.

I was running through a desktop, so I thought thereā€™d be enough power in the USB jack to make it work. Apparently not. I noticed that if I plugged something else into the same USB jack that the Arduino connected to after it stopped, the jack was ā€œdeadā€. Restarted the computer and it was alive again. Soā€¦my theory was that there was some sort of ā€œprotectionā€ circuit on the USB jack that if it pulled too much current or something else went wrong it would hard stop and not restart until the computer was restarted.

Whatever the problem was, using an externally powered USB hub ($20 a best buy) has solved my problem. Maybe it was the cable that came with it and the hub doesnā€™t matter? Who knows?

For what itā€™s worth, I am sending GCode through UGCSā€¦never had this problem with Easel, but I never ran half hour carves on Easel like I do with UGCS.

Iā€™ve had my XC for a few weeks, made a few small carvings, just tinkering trying to get it all dialed in. Tonight, it just stopped, spindle, vacuum and all movement.

I replaced the USB cable first thing. Fixed the problem!

I had this issue and figured out it happened when I ran my shop vac on the same circuit as my system . Changed to a different out let that was on a different circuit and problem solved

I run my spindle and shop vac on the same circuit through the IoT Relay power strip. Itā€™s also on the same wall circuit as the controller and Mac. Perhaps I need to run a dedicated electrical connection to separate them. Fortunately, mine is setup in my basement with the electrical panel about 20ā€™ away. It shouldnā€™t be too hard to wire that up. I could use a bigger amp circuit there anyway. :wink:

Google led us to this thread which was a big help in troubleshooting this issue for our xcarveā€¦ so Iā€™ll share an update for any future readers.

We have an x-carve at work that had been randomly stopping in the middle of jobs. Sometimes even failing while jogging and setting up a zero point. We would typically be in the middle of the job and Easel would suddenly declare it was done, and the machine would stop moving. We usually had to turn the controller off and/or unplug and replug the USB cable. We tried a powered hub and a shorter cable but discovered that wasnā€™t our issue. Through trial and error, we discovered it was our vacuum. We had recently upgraded from a mini shop vac to a ā€œregular sizeā€ (5 gallon) Rigid brand shop vac and had it plugged into the same power strip as the xcarve. The old/small vacuum worked fine, but the bigger one was the problem. It was likely creating enough electrical noise on the line to cause problems with the x-controller. Once we moved the vacuum to a separate circuit, the machine ran flawlessly for multi-hour jobs.

2 Likes

As a follow-up for possibly installing an additional circuit for mine. I canā€™t, without replacing my entire electrical panel. Itā€™s completely full. Thatā€™s because I used the last 20amp circuit to run a dedicated line to my garage this past summer. Now I canā€™t even add a sub-panel. It would be an expensive undertaking now to replace the entire panel.

My carves never stop, but once in awhile right at the beginning when I click the final ā€˜goā€™ button to begin the carve, it resets the controller. Perhaps I should move my machine to the garage now. :wink:

Try putting a good quality Surge protector sch as designed for home theater use between the X carve and the wall circuit.
Make sure that the vacuum is before the surge protector.

how do you start carving again from the point it stopped

Easel dont support Resume when a carve have been aborted.

If you have homing switches installed, or did a XYZ zero off a known spot prior to the carve you can restart the same program, using the previous home position (aka work zero)

One can also edit the gcode file itself to remove the carved portion but this isnt recommended for other than experienced users.

You could go into the advanced options in Easel and issue a G28.1 to set a park before you start. Doing so will allow you to completely power off your machine and start over by first ā€˜homingā€™ then issuing a G28 to return to the previously set park position.

Hi Ben, thanks for this follow up, Iā€™m having the same issue with my xcarve and I have the big shop vac. I do have it plugged into a separate plug and I have grounding wire set up as well but it still stops the project randomly when I use it. Could there be another problem with the wiring?

Thanks

is your Hose Grounded? and is that ground wire attached Near the cnc end? If not, I suggest doing this firstā€¦

Thanks for getting back to me. Yes itā€™s grounded close to the machine, like the picture attached.

1 Like

I moved the vacuum further away from the cnc machine and it worked for a little bit longer but still stopped before the end

1 Like

Hmmm, Iā€™d actually drive the screw into the hose so thereā€™s an electrode (basically) that protrudes into the insideā€¦ AND If it were closer to the source (like within a foot from the dust shoe) that would be better too!

Hhhmmm ok Iā€™ll try that, thanks!

1 Like