Xloader - instructions

Jan,
You can also disable homing ($22=0) if you are not going to use it, then when PS starts it will restore the setting you use (G20 and G91), and also no need to use the $X then either.:grinning:

1 Like

John,
so I just tried out your workaround, and it kind of works.
it does indeed make a move, but I cant make the same move twice.
And the 45Ā° moves donā€™t work right.
Not bitching here. Just an FYI.
Now I cant wait to try the update.

This is not very clear.
Are you sure you have the mode set to G91?

1 Like

So I went through the motions that you suggested.
All moves are set for 1 inch.
when I click on the X-Y+ it moves~4" -X and ~.25 +Y
When I click X-Y- it move ~2" -X and zero Y move
when I click X+ Y+ it looks like it made the right move of 1" in both directions
When I click the X+Y- it moves ~1.5" in Y- and zero movement in X
None of this is consistent, (the moves will not be the same each time) and any of the movements will not work more than once.

Z appears to work ok.

So I just tried to make direct X Y moves.
it will make the move one time.
you cannot click again to make the same move.

Click on $G button and post the message, please.
There is nothing wrong with 45 move code, it has to be a setting still.

Are you sure you are in G91 mode?

1 Like

[G1 G54 G17 G20 G90 G94 M0 M5 M9 T0 F200.0 S0.]

ok

mode is G90

I just set it for G91 and it seems to work right.
I donā€™t know the difference between G90 and G91
Should I always leave the setting to G91?

You must be in G91 mode for jogging the way you prefer. G90 is absolute mode. Too much to explain now, but basically gcode files run in G90, and most prefer jogging in G91.

2 Likes

Jan,
This may help a little with understanding gcode, even though not exactly all you want/need to know. There are some links included for further study.

John

1 Like

Thanks John,

1 Like

Iā€™m not arguing with anyone whether homing is useful or not.
When I started with UGS, I just found it easier to unlock ($X) the machine,
quickly jog the spindle to my work position, set XYZ zero with my Triquetra and go from there.
If anything would happen, I simply use the Triquetra to find XYZ again and pick up where I left off.
I actually park my spindle towards the rear of the machine.
I just feel that its a bit more protected there.
Maybe I donā€™t use it because the machine moves so very slow when its homing.
Believe me, it takes my machine a lot longer than 30 seconds.
(I know, Why am I in such a hurry when Iā€™m playing with such a cool piece of equipment)

No, there really isnā€™t an argument here. As someone who is just starting out with the X-carve, forum members try to guide new people in a direction to avoid some of the mistakes they made coming along.

If I recall correctly @PhilJohnson also started out not homing due to the fact that his machine had serious electrical noise which prevented the homing switches from working properly and also was able to do his work without using homing.

As you can see from his comment above, once he got them working, he has come around to the other side.

The X-carve is a very flexible machine and can be used with a variety of operating procedures. Features like homing are not right or wrong, just part of the feature set to choose from.

Best thing to do, is to do what works for you.

1 Like

So, after I sent the last reply, I got to thinking.
Is there a setting where the machine will move faster during the homing cycle?

Yes, $24 and $25

I donā€™t think I would change $24, as it is the fine adjustment.

Be careful with that as you can get it going too fast and may crash into the switch.

Using the default values my machine will home to within 0.001 inch. Moving faster may affect the accuracy of the position. I havenā€™t done any testing with that.

1 Like

I donā€™t want Z to move any faster.
But X&Y need help.
I will play with the settings.

Itā€™s all or nothing. They all use the same rate.

1 Like

Maybe it will be best if I leave it alone.

Wonā€™t hurt to try. Just donā€™t up the rate at too big a jump.

1 Like

You could do a $X, quickly jog it from the rear to the front left corner then do a $H. That would dramatically reduce your homing time and not have to worry about changing the homing speed.

Just a thought. Iā€™ve used mine with and without homing. I prefer homing personally.

1 Like