Y-axis cut location issues 1000mm X-carve

I purchased my X-carve 1000mm back in 2016 (Arduino/gshield controller). I assembled it and it sat in the garage for awhile. I just started messing with it again and ran into some Y-axis location issues.

The first problem is with the starting location. When using Easl, I click through the menu and set the start location at where I believe should be home -0,0. Click “use this new location” and start the cut. The problem is the Y-axis appears to start in the middle of the cut, but it starts it at Y=0. So if you have 2 lines of text - it would start on the top line but at the location of the bottom line. Then when it goes to cut the bottom line it bottoms out on the Y-axis but still goes through the motions, sometimes coming back into the area occupied by the top line of text.

To counteract that issue and see how the rest of the process works I started the Y-axis in the middle of the wood. It’s scrap so I was just trying to see if there were any other problems.

The other problem I see is that it starts a new path but it doesn’t line up with the first path. For example, I was testing with a detailed celtic cross file. The design is about 7" tall. The machine first cut all of the interior detail from bottom to top. Then, when it started to cut the first outline it moved the Y-axis down about 2" from the top and that was the bottom for the first outline. When it started the second outline it did the same thing, but started about 2" down from the top of the first outline. The x-axis seems to move flawlessly and the Y-axis seems to move fine once it starts cutting, but when it moves between paths it just seems to be off. The effect is a cascading/overlapping effect only on the Y-axis.

I will add pictures soon, my google Drive is not cooperating right now

Please ignore the excess cuts on the left, I was dealing with some belt slip issues. I’m aware of the chipout, which I believe is from this being cheaper(not finish grade) plywood.

Can you share your file? also have you gone though the steps to lock your motors?

How many workpieces are you using? under shape/position what is marked on each workpiece?

I believe it is just one workpiece. All I did was find a vector image, Drop it into easel and resize it to my liking.

https://easel.inventables.com/projects/12A8svgiWe19ATi3R86RMw

Do you have homing switches installed?

Have you done this? for bit changes?

I did not install the homing switches because way back when I built it I read/heard that they were a bit of a pain. I still have the wiring and probably the switches with the machine.

As far as the bit change goes, I thought it would do the whole cut with just the 1/8" straight bit.

That file is a bit of a mess, if you are using it as you sent it to me it shouldn’t jump around if you are using only 1 bit on one pass. If you are breaking it apart and running three passes you need to lock your motors and use your homing switches so you can always have a home and a XY point.

Here is how I would run it, see the last two workpieces

I kinda figured it would be a mess, this is all still pretty new to me. That’s why I was trying to start simple(no bit changes and 1 pass). The jumping/cascading on the y-axis is the main issue I had. It really has me scratching my head because when it’s actually cutting it moves correctly.

When I get some time, I’m going to try a different design to see what happens. I’ve got a handful of scrap boards laying around from other projects. I have watched some vids and want to see what happens when I copy the production steps of a successful project. (instead of just winging it like that project)

It looks like you are loosing steps. Make sure your belts are tight. Also, check the motors and see if those little black lock screws are holding belt gear tight to shaft.

Good news! I found multiple issues that were causing a variety of inconsistencies in the cuts. I had belt slipping, too low current on all axis, and a loose connection on my y-axis connector at the gshield.

It has made a few successful cuts that came out good enough for me. And it is currently doing my first 2-bit cut!

Thank you for the help. The learning continues.

1 Like