I purchased my X-carve 1000mm back in 2016 (Arduino/gshield controller). I assembled it and it sat in the garage for awhile. I just started messing with it again and ran into some Y-axis location issues.
The first problem is with the starting location. When using Easl, I click through the menu and set the start location at where I believe should be home -0,0. Click “use this new location” and start the cut. The problem is the Y-axis appears to start in the middle of the cut, but it starts it at Y=0. So if you have 2 lines of text - it would start on the top line but at the location of the bottom line. Then when it goes to cut the bottom line it bottoms out on the Y-axis but still goes through the motions, sometimes coming back into the area occupied by the top line of text.
To counteract that issue and see how the rest of the process works I started the Y-axis in the middle of the wood. It’s scrap so I was just trying to see if there were any other problems.
The other problem I see is that it starts a new path but it doesn’t line up with the first path. For example, I was testing with a detailed celtic cross file. The design is about 7" tall. The machine first cut all of the interior detail from bottom to top. Then, when it started to cut the first outline it moved the Y-axis down about 2" from the top and that was the bottom for the first outline. When it started the second outline it did the same thing, but started about 2" down from the top of the first outline. The x-axis seems to move flawlessly and the Y-axis seems to move fine once it starts cutting, but when it moves between paths it just seems to be off. The effect is a cascading/overlapping effect only on the Y-axis.
I will add pictures soon, my google Drive is not cooperating right now
That file is a bit of a mess, if you are using it as you sent it to me it shouldn’t jump around if you are using only 1 bit on one pass. If you are breaking it apart and running three passes you need to lock your motors and use your homing switches so you can always have a home and a XY point.
Here is how I would run it, see the last two workpieces
I kinda figured it would be a mess, this is all still pretty new to me. That’s why I was trying to start simple(no bit changes and 1 pass). The jumping/cascading on the y-axis is the main issue I had. It really has me scratching my head because when it’s actually cutting it moves correctly.
When I get some time, I’m going to try a different design to see what happens. I’ve got a handful of scrap boards laying around from other projects. I have watched some vids and want to see what happens when I copy the production steps of a successful project. (instead of just winging it like that project)
Good news! I found multiple issues that were causing a variety of inconsistencies in the cuts. I had belt slipping, too low current on all axis, and a loose connection on my y-axis connector at the gshield.
It has made a few successful cuts that came out good enough for me. And it is currently doing my first 2-bit cut!