3 Axis Automatic Zero for X-Carve

Included with the Touch Plate kit is a Excel spreadsheet that generates the necessary g-code for any size bit. You copy the generated code and save it to a file using Windows Note Pad or similar program. Once saved you can use the file over and over. You will need a separate file for each size bit, all of which are generated with the spreadsheet.

As of now, the g-code generated to zero your bits is NOT compatible with the g-code spec’s for Easel. The only issues is that the allowed g-code commands do not include the standard commands for probing and resetting zero positions which are necessary to automatically zero using the Touch Plate. I am working with Inventables to resolve this. I have been in contact with Zach Kaplan, the CEO of Inventables, and he assures me that they will be looking in to this.

However there is a work around for Easel Users. Here is a step by step way to zero all three axis and still use Easel.

1. Before starting Easel, load up another controller such as PicSender or Universal G-code Sender (UGS). PicSender (recommended) is a paid program and UGS is free to download and use.
  2. Load the generated g-code file for the bit size you are using that is created and saved from the G-Code Generator Spreadsheet that comes with your Touch Plate Kit.
  3. Run the g-code which will zero all three axis at one time.
  4. Jog your bit so that it is sitting at zero for all three axis. In UGS you will refer to the “Work position” numbers and not the “Machine Position” numbers. If you are using PicSender then just click on the “Goto Zero” button for all three axis.
  5. With your bit sitting at zero for all three axis, exit PicSender or UGS.
  6. Open the file you want to carve with Easel and proceed as normal skipping the homing and zeroing steps because your bit is already at 0,0,0.
  7. If you change your bit mid job in Easel you will have to manually re-zero your Z axis unless you close the file and repeat steps 1-6 and then load the new tool path into Easel.

I hope this answers your questions.

Charley

3 Likes

Already got mine, and haven’t even finished my X carve build yet. Lol!

You are going to be one step ahead of where the rest of us started in trying to get a good zero position!!

1 Like

Mine isn’t finished either! haha

1 Like

I believe I am the first one to receive one of Charley’s touch plates that he didn’t make for himself. I can attest to Charley’s generosity and professionalism with a CNC newbie like me. If you are even considering purchasing a zero touch plate, I cannot recommend Charley’s product enough. He supplies everything you need and then some, going the extra mile to supply a spreadsheet with regular email updates, all the connectors and a video presentation as well. I can’t thank him enough. Get this touch plate. You won’t regret it, and you’ll make a new friend in the process!

2 Likes

Well it looks as though I have made a friend in you. Thank you for the kind words.

Charley

Got my order from Charley today. Very quick and it looks like it’ll work great! Can’t wait to try it this weekend.

Fantastic that the reviews have all been positive. My email to Charley (to get in line for one) caught him on the way to Dallas to get more material. I’m even more enthusiastic now to be able to get my order going in the next batch. Please keep sharing your experiences and tips on how you’re using this in your own workflows.

-craig

Is your tool usable with chillipeppr, too?
If so, I am interested in getting one sent to Germany.

I don’t use chillipepprso I can not confirm that it does work, however one customer told me that it does work with chillipeppr.

Beware, International shipping is expensive. I sent a quote to one guy for $33.95 shipping to the UK and another for $34.95 to Australia. Canada is about $25.00.

Charley

Compatibility

I have had a lot of questions about compatibility. Here is what I know for a fact:

This is compatible with the following:
Universal G-Code Sender version 1.8
PicSender.

I have been told that it is compatible with Chillipeppr but I have not tested it myself.

It is NOT currently compatible with Easel due to the limitations imposed on g-code importing, however, you can use PicSender or UGS to zero all three axis ant then load Easel and your bit will already be at zero.

I hope this answers you questions.

2 Likes

MIne showed up yesterday and WOW! the machining and finish is outstanding!

I havent had a chance to work with it yet and due to current jobs on deck in the shop it will be a bit before I can but if the level of workmanship on the plate itself and the software is any indication, I wont be disappointed.

Thanks for putting this out there, Charley!

Very kind of you to say so. I am certain that you won’t be disappointed. Many of the early shipments were polished by hand rubbing them. It didn’t take me long to come off a few $$ and purchase a benchtop buffer. Now they are shipping out with a finish that almost looks like it is chrome plated!

Just remember to closely review the “Fine Tuning” section of the user manual. It will only take a few minutes to do and once completed you will be able to quickly and easily set a near perfect 0.0.0 every time. I used mine to make yours!

Charley

I agree. The finish is amazing.

Look out, they are beginning to breed!

True but with an objective mind, like all things in nature, it’s amazing to witness as a seemingly useless chunk of metal becomes a work of art!!

Oops, did I just call my touch plate a piece of art! I suppose it isn’t art, but it is pretty darn cool if I do say so myself.

3 Likes

Art is in the eye of the beholder, and there are now a lot of beholders of your art. :slight_smile:

Well done, Charley.
John

1 Like

Charley, I would like one when you get them back in stock.

I sent you a private msg with ordering info. You are #7 in on the waiting list. Should ship Tuesday.

Trying this, but how do,you get it to save the homed position?
Thanks