3 Axis Automatic Zero for X-Carve

Saw your video. WOW what a great idea. Please send me you discount code. Thanx

Use coupon code ā€œ3cornersā€ without the quotes at www.charlindwoodcraft.com and you will get $20.00 off your order when you purchase a touch plate. I have them in stock and can ship them today.

Thank you for your interest,

Charley

1 Like

hey @CharleyThomas - noticed the Zero Z only tab on the Excel I downloaded about 3 weeks ago is in inches even though Iā€™m using MM, I donā€™t think it updated properly. Not sure if you caught that, but wanted to bring it to your attentionā€¦

I purchase yesterday (thank you Charley for fast shipping) for my X-Carve with TinyG the command G38.2 works on Touch Plate widget and pcb auto level

What Version of the G-Code Generator are you using? I just checked version 7a1 and the way it is set on the Setting page is reflected correctly on the Z only page.

When the G-Code is generated, the formulas used to create the code first look at the Setting Page to get the Touch Plate measurements and determine if they are in inches or millimeters. This happens automatically.

Charley

I donā€™t have a Tiny G but from everything I have read it does support probing commands so you should be just fine. I think that is what you were asking anyway[quote=ā€œLionel, post:153, topic:22454, full:trueā€]
I purchase yesterday (thank you Charley for fast shipping) for my X-Carve with TinyG the command G38.2 works on Touch Plate widget and pcb auto level
[/quote]

Got the new magnetic connector from Charley and boy does it make a difference. I use a lot of small bits so I was usually fighting with the alligator clip to make sure it didnā€™t touch the touch plate instead of the bit.

New connector just snaps right onto the collet and donā€™t worry bout it!

Thanks again Charley for making my life easier!

2 Likes

Want.

My New Website

I have been working on creating a new website to supply the Triquetra Touch Plate and accessories. The new web address is www.triquetra-cnc.com . If you try to go to the original website at charlindwoodcraft.com it will automatically forward you to the new site so donā€™t panic. Itā€™s still me, just a nicer site and better branding.

Thank you too all the users who have made this a fun and interesting journey for me. On the new site I have a blog page setup for user comments. I have taken the liberty of taking many of the comments on this forum and placing them on the web site. When I say many, I mean all that I found from 06/01/2016 and earlier. They are all unedited and I did not leave any out (at least not intentionally anyway).

So if you have something to say that you feel would benefit someone who is considering purchasing one please feel free to visit my new site at www.triquetra-cnc.com and post away.

Thanks again everyone. And YES the discount is still valid for forum members!!

Charley

1 Like

Hi Charlie,
Just curious what the lag time is between ordering and shipping? Or do you have plenty built ready to ship?
Im from Australia so Iā€™m guessing it would take a couple of week just for it to transit over.
Cheers,

Michael Radford

Yes I have then in stock and can ship tomorrow. www.triquetra-cnc.com. Sorry for the brief reply. Iā€™m at the lake with friends.

1 Like

Ordered one last night. Looks like a great tool to use and start my Xcarve experience off right (machine is still not assembled and waiting for the Xcontroller anyways). The YouTube video of the Mach3 demo (which showed the machine zeroing) was really what sold me on it.

1 Like

Just tried to order but paypal wouldnā€™t accept my multiple attempts to pay using a CC. I donā€™t use paypal so i chose the use a CC option. Tried more than 10 times, using 2 different cards. Each time I was getting different error messages. Wrong card, wrong address, invalid this, invalid that, and then finally it told me that my card was tied to too many paypal accounts. I donā€™t even have a paypal account! So aggravating! I use both cards daily, have used the pay using a CC option within Paypal in the past so iā€™m familiar with itā€¦ Only thing I can conclude is that its a paypal problem, not a ā€œmeā€ problem. Also confirmed both my CCā€™s are in working order with funds available.

Guess Iā€™ll try again at a later time.

:joy: I feel the same way!

I did discover however that it was a ME problem. Donā€™t you hate that!? hahaā€¦ Turns out the company card I was using was cancelled the night before (after I had just used it to buy the X-Carve) so a new one could ship out. But all is well. Once I got that sorted out, payment was finally made and now i have my very own Auto Zero on the way as I type this! err I mean the company has one on the way :wink:

1 Like

It may be owned by the company but when it is YOU that assembles the X-Carve and YOU that knows how to draw the parts, and YOU that know how to get ideas turned in to actual parts, it will be YOU that the company turns to when they need something. YOU will become a more valuable asset to the company than YOU already are! YOU will be the guy that makes one of these for your boss just to make him glad the YOU were forward thinking enough to get the X-Carve!

2 Likes

Charley,

I am interested in purchasing your product. Thank you for your time. It is exactly what I was looking for.

Ev

1 Like

Please use coupon code ā€œ3cornersā€ at www.triquetra-cnc.com to get $20 off your order total.

Thank you for your interest.

Charley

1. This is awesome. reminds me of those awesome little zero bit checker thingies that they have in the $60K+ Haas machines. You really are ingenious!

2. I see in the video that you are just placing the block on the table and then zeroing it. wouldnā€™t it be nice to have the block permanently mounted to the waste board somewhere so you could have the exact same zero every single time? or am I missing something? (Iā€™m pretty new to this)

I guess what Iā€™m thinking is if I could kinda bolt it somewhere mostly out of the way (top left/right corner maybe) then when I build my designs I could always plan on the same zero.

My current tactic is that I know all my inserts are 75mm apart from each other so I just bolt my material down wherever I want and then eyeball zero my bit on my bottom left insert. (so my bottom left insert is the zero in every design I make)

3.Is it possible to basically do the same thing with your device where the device would be permanent mounted to the table and it would make my zero the dead center of a insert and eliminate the ā€œeyeballingā€ part?

I suppose that would be possible but that sounds more like homing your machine which is entirely different that zeroing to your material to be cut. The touch plate is designed with a cutout on the bottom that will position it to the corner of your work material and be in the exact same location in relation to the material every single time regardless of where it is mounted to your waste board. When you run the zeroing g-code file your work position is set so that if you send your bit to XYZ zero it will be precisely located on the front left corner.

When you design your part to cut out you always have to reference a location that is going to be Zero, Zero, Zero. Your machine bases all of the cutting from that point. The touch plate makes it easy to establish that point for you so there is no eyeballing involved. It is precise, repeatable, fast, and automatic.

The problem with mounting it to the table and not putting it on top of the material to cut is that the Z axis height would not be correct unless you always reference your Z height from the table and not the actual height of the material. Referencing Z height from the table can introduce errors because of the actual thickness of material vs the advertised thickness is quite often different. A piece of 3/4 inch plywood is usually closer to 5/8 thick and not 3/4 not to mention expansion from temperature and humidity. The touch plate system doesnā€™t care how thick the material is, and sets your Z axis to Zero so that your bit is at the same height. It also sets your X and Y axis so that the center of the bit is on each edge of the material.

Hope this clears thing up for you. If not please feel free to contact me for further details if needed.

Charley

2 Likes

That makes 100% sense. Thanks for clearing the conceptual difference.

1 Like