All hail the dewalt gods

Wow, just wow. my collets for the 611 arrived today just in time to see my 300W spindle fail completely. So I swapped out the dead 300W for the 611 and I am impressed (thanks to Inventables for making a solid mount). I thought there was just a bit too much exuberance on this thread. But now that I have seen this thing in action I understand completely.

I can make .25 inch cuts though MDF and pine with no problem at all. For the first time I am not trying to think of ways to reduce the amount of profile cuts needed on a project. I just cut them in two passes.

Now if I can just find my machine under all the sawdust I will be start my next project.

4 Likes

Welcome to Club Allen.

Got my parts in today to start working on my Dewalt mods. I had the air diverter 3d printed online and then added the thumb screw to make bit changes one handed. I should have my dust collection mod setup this weekend…will take more picture of that when it’s done!

3 Likes

I really want the thumb screw! Changing bits is much harder than the quiet spindle.

Also, I was at Harbor Freight today looking for a shovel to start scooping up the giant pile of sawdust that have filled my shop. When I saw this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-hp-industrial-5-micron-dust-collector-97869.html

This may be the answer I need.

Allen, I have two dust collector. I can sell you my Harbor Freight. Used about 2 months, also uprated to 1 micron dust bag. You price it. Where do you live.

I am in Kennesaw, Georgia. Did you have any problems with the HF Dust Collector, or is 5 micron filter just not enough?

I have never had a dust collector before so not sure how much difference a few microns make.

All I know for sure is that I have overwhelmed my little shop vac.

Working very well, 5 micron leaking dust, that’s why upgraded. But my dust collection pipes are 2" , requirement for this is 4" piping. Instead of changing I purchased Big sears vacuum. It is loud, I created box for it and when it starts heating up, I take a break. Harbor Freight is very quiet and works non stop hours. If you’re willing to make 4" pipe line, it is good. But if you go smaller pipe, it slows suction down.

Since I don’t have any hose at all now, 4 inch is fine with me.

I am afraid the sipping cost will be to much since a new one is now about $220 with tax. I could pay $170 (including tax) for a used one.

That’s fine. You can come and pick up anytime you want. I live in Lawrenceville. I also kept original filter as well, you can have it and mostly it’s pre assembed.

OMG! The thumb screw is a must with the dewalt…I had to do a few bit changes today, and it made it much easier!

For the thumb screw, did you drill a hole and tap it for a M5 thread?

Yes, just drilled a hole approximately where the button is, tapped for M4 and the thumb screw is M4 x 12. I do have a M5 x 10 that I might swap over to as I think the 12mm is a bit too long. Or I could just cut it too…hmm

I would need a big sign over the machine reminding me to loosen the thumb screw before powering. Maybe one of those red air aircraft remove before starting ribbons that I attach when I lock it.

1 Like

After I tighten down the bit I loosen the thumb screw until I can spin the collet by hand…though I think the router would just make a humming noise if it tried to start with with the button in. Oh, I got my dust collect setup today…I’m coping the pics over now.

Ok everyone, I designed a little bit of a different dust collection system. I like the loc-line tubing for vacuuming but I also like having it fixed to the Y carriage and not the Z, so this is what I came up with:

This was made and cut out with easel to hold the tubing.

It attaches to the top of the Z motor like this:

And then the loc-line runs underneath to the bit.

Seems to work really well, I might grind the tips a bit to get them close to the cut area.

3 Likes

What material did you use, looks very solid.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FP83GS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s03

It was from a 1/4 in thick sheet of Delrin…I love making stuff out of it, machines very well.

2 Likes

Looks scarey, like Allien attack. Just kitting, nice work.

1 Like

Doesn’t have to be threaded screw, besides, you need to press multiple times on it to release bit. Wrench does not hold on convenient place every time. There are only two channels on colette. I’m thinking more likely some spring loaded mechanical arm attached to those original screw holes on mount assembly, you can press when need it. One round pin goes into hole and pushes button. I will try to draw it on fusion360.

Where did you source the black colored loc-line from? very cool dust extraction set-up by the way!