Best Dust Shoe / Boot Design EVER ! "Suckit"

Based on this and other discussions I’ve had with you I think you take a more zen definition of the word “better” than I do. What I mean is better(for a given purpose or workflow) or better(for the typical usage) or better(given a set of criteria to score against). In this case with the Suckit the workflow is to zero out the tool, then raise high enough for the baseplate insertion to clear the bit, lower the bit back down, carve, then after the carve is complete the bit must be raised again if you need to remove the baseplate. With the split design the workflow doesn’t require either of these extra bit raises. That makes it measurably better in terms of workflow. Comparing things isn’t inherently bad, and in this case it pays your design a compliment - take it.

1 Like

+1 - kudos to @PhilJohnson on the design. I’m going to “borrow” it.

Ideally, the Suckit folks will make V2 with that in mind, continuous improvement is always a good thing …

1 Like

The split design, (which I also did in my dust shoe thanks to Phil and other good ideas from other folks here) is the way to go, at least for me. If anything doesn’t get sucked up while cutting, like small circles, you can always pause the machine, slide the part out and remove the piece in no time. Thats why I like the split design. And Im sure that other ideas will come up, thats what this forum is all about, great guys coming up with different stuff, thank you all for your time and for sharing!

2 Likes

I decided to go ahead and order one even though I wasn’t sure the laser would clear. Took about 3 weeks to get here and fits just fine with the jtech laser. Assembly was a bit more hassle working around the laser mount but clears fine once on there. I cant wait to start cutting with this thing once I get my vacuum hose all setup!

Sure a nice, tidy little piece of hardware, isn’t it?

OK after first test run I discovered the suck it will not clear the laser mount when making full cuts (found out the hard way when it pulled half the suck it mounts off but luckily no damage I was able to pause the job fix boot mounts remount laser higher and resume) Its a simple fix of moving the laser mount to the top 2 spindle screws rather than the bottom 2. Hopefully this wont affect the laser performance which I will have to find out once I get a better handle on the laser g code.

Still waiting for the STL files to be available so I can see if it will fit my machine.
Bottom bearing on the ACME rod may get in the way

This/you are awsome. So a buddy of mine works at the community college. I sent him the two stl files you posted above this video.

So now i just need to get the
1" extrusion.
acrylic (cut that through easle).
and brush.
And some hard ware.
Drill the holes in the gantry
and should be all correct?.
Again great design. I have looked at alot of them. This one seems best

1 Like

Using it a bit more on Monday night, doing a bit of simple pocketing and cutout work. This photo just struck me as rather cool, because I have not done any clean-up at all the last three projects, including this one. I’ve brushed away maybe four or five little chips from the area that the part seats in the fixture, since the downshear bit tends to ram sawdust into the little grooves in the spoil board instead of kicking them out the side where the extractor can get them. No clean-up at all done on the top surfaces of the fixture, though, nor on this part during machining. I’ve been watching the brackets top and bottom for any sign of cracking, and inspecting the whole thing every couple of uses, so far, still looks and works like new.

1 Like

I’m running a 2.5" hose from the shoe, across the X-Carve to the Dust Deputy at the side of the table, and from there it goes to 4" line to the extractor, which exhausts directly outside through a drier vent. :slight_smile:

1 Like

How do I get one…

Here’s my set-up. Dust is no longer an issue for sure even with my puny shop vac. The dust deputy is a must, I bought another one for the vac I use to clean up the shop.

2 Likes

HI All:

This is the first time I write in the forum and I have to admit that this Dust shoe marks a before and an after.

I had to make a change to suit my vacuum cleaner adapter 3D designing and printing it in the 3D printer.

It should already be an accessory that is included in the X-carve.

Thanks for the detailed written by hand in the bottom of the box.

Greetings from Panama.

1 Like

I’d love to get rid of the vwheels for the z-axis too. But I’m new to CNC and its not clear to me what could be used to replace it. Where would I find the bearings you mentioned?

i’ve finaly ordered mine ! cant wait to recive it !

It’s been a bit over two weeks since I placed my order so I’m hoping my package from Suckit arrives today.
Everything takes a long time to get to Australia.:unamused:

Here’s hoping that your customs office doesnt mistake it for a package from an alternative “adult” toy supplier based on the name on the package…

1 Like

Testing a review sample of the v2.0 and i must say it performs at better than expected (and having used 1.0 I expected a lot). It also incorporated a ton of user feedback and suggestion and innovation with the the 1.0 version.

More teaser pix to come… :wink:
@Jennchepurny

Perhaps they have! It’s 4 weeks tomorrow and still not here.
Not sure what mail times from Canada to Australia are like, I’d expect the same as from the USA where it can be more than 3 weeks although 2 is more common.

@Jennchepurny

3 Likes