Best Dust Shoe / Boot Design EVER ! "Suckit"

You’re really going to like it, Cory! Go easy on those screws when you put the top and bottom holding brackets on, and enjoy the nice, clean shop. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What is the plastic material your using ? PVC or plexiglass.

Fairly sure it’s clear Acrylic. +1 on the product, I’ve had mine since the very first shipment and I’d buy another again in a minute (actually I will be next month)…

Spoil yourself, and your lungs, order this boot :smile:

2 Likes

I guess it’s time to get another base or order some acrylic!

You might try just cleaning it up a bit and seeing how it still works. Might not actually make much of a difference.

Take off the brush, clamp it down on your XC and cut out a circle that encompasses the original plus the new one, or an hourglass… it’ll clean up nicely.

Are you out of duct tape?

5 Likes

lol Thanks guys for all the ideas. I have actually used it since the mishap and it doesn’t affect the suction that much, but I am loosing some material out that side.

Duct tape, temporarily, actually isn’t a bad idea. (I’m now thinking about the Red and Green Show)

I think if I enlarge the hole to receive the entire router I would lose to much suction.

2 Likes

Ouch! What happened? Did it pull loose of the magnets? That looks like the collet plunged right into it and melted through?

The set screw rattled loose on one of the side rails during a long rough cut using a 1/2" core box bit (which produces a lot of vibration) or I might have forgotten to tighten it. Anyways the side drooped down and then snagged a screw on a clamp and yanked the acrylic shield into the collet. It melted all into the collet collar and clamp, lol. By the time I came back to check on it it had cooled and hardened and so the collet was totally toast. Luckily it was just one of the stock ones and I have an extra, so no big.

I usually check on my cuts more frequently, but I got side tracked.

Oh man, that sucks. Any thoughts on ways to prevent that from happening? Maybe a big zip-tie around the rails from top to bottom outside the vertical rails?

Has anyone else had this problem with their Suckit- when I start a carve I loosen the right rail, insert the baseplate, then tighten the right rail finger tight. Everything feels set. Then at the end of the carve when I remove the right rail slips and falls down loose EVERY SINGLE TIME. When the baseplate is inserted the right thumbscrew feels tight, but when the baseplate is removed it’s always loose.

I assume the right slider is getting bound up by the baseplate pulling it slightly inward and that effect goes away when I remove the baseplate, but I haven’t been able to see that for sure.

Yeah, same issue here. I’ve been doing a lot of carves on thinner stock so I’m operating w\ the slides all the way down, but the few times I’ve done thicker stock I’ve really had to crank down on the thumbscrews. I’ve found if I wiggle the brackets left and right while I tighten I get better results.

Glad it’s not just my imagination. I wonder if the dovetails milled into the arms are a little too tight and bind up in the rails when inward force is applied by the magnets.

I tend to think you’re right. There was another dust shoe somewhere here that was in development that I really liked, primarily because of this issue, and the acrylic shoe was also split down the center so you could zero the bit and put the front half of the shoe back without needing to raise \ lower.

I intend to give that other boot’s features a try, but I’ve got too many orders right now I need to fill before I can play…

1 Like

That would be @PhilJohnson’s design. It does appear to be superior in at least one way.

https://discuss.inventables.com/t/dust-boot-inspired-by-youtube-video/19854/104

1 Like

I think after seeing this, I’m going to just add a piece of safety wire around my entire boot from top to bottom. That should keep anything from falling free. I do like the split design, Phil, it’d let me use somewhat longer bits again.

Overall, mine is still functioning very well! Has taken a bit of getting used to, but it works quite nicely, and it really does get the dust!

1 Like

I’ve used the boot a ton in the month or so that I have had it, literally 6-8 hrs a day and I still love it even after this mishap.

There were some things that I listed out early on that I thought were concerns or that could be improved and this very thing was one of the considerations, as from the start my left side screw has been shifty. I found that I have to jiggle that side as I give the screw a good twist, to ensure that’s it’s solid. But I don’t always remember to do this (and this is the first time it has slid down) and it would have been good to have double checked it in the middle of this particular carve, as I said, it was a pretty bouncy ride.

Probalby a perfect solution would be a second z axis that raises and lowers the boot. :blush:

But for now, I’ve definitely gotten my money’s worth out of this boot and I’m impressed even more with the quality, because this really wasn’t as catastrophic as it could have been. Everything still works, and I ran it for several hours this morning, it just has a larger hole.

Agree, that’s what I plan to do. I really want to redesign the brackets but keep the shoe and just split it…

Yeah, I didn’t see what could be better about your design over the Suckit, but that split design idea is nice - will have to work on that.