Best Dust Shoe / Boot Design EVER ! "Suckit"

Mine only took a day to get here (to PA.) I was from what I can tell the 20th person on the list.

Made, boxed and shipped beautifully.

I too had an issue when I first looked at it, and honestly it was due to one of those lack of clear assembly instructions from Inventables. It had nothing whatsoever to do with the Suckit people or their design.

There wasn’t enough clearance on the top of the Z carriage to slip the top Suckit piece in because I had the Router assembly improperly located. Once I adjusted the position, everything went together like a dream.

(I haven’t hooked it to a vacuum yet, as I plan to buy a new one so that I can reclaim the materials that I am milling/routing.)

So far I would give the Suckit people an A+. (And no, I have no affiliation with them other than being a customer.)

3 Likes

How do you change bits when it’s mounted ? Do you have to take it all the way to the top of the travel and slide the shoe forwards ?

I just did it. You only have to raise the z axis enough to clear the hole that the bit goes through. The router moves independently of the Suckit assembly. The bottom is held in by magnets so it pops right out of the way if you want to remove it. It was painless.

1 Like

Do the arms for the shoe get in the way of the collet spanner. I have this picture in my mind of the spanner slipping and knocking one of the arms off with my hand

No. Plenty of space to work and move. (These are the precision collets and their spanner. - Another incredibly well done bunch of products.)

2 Likes

I just got my SuckIt in the mail this afternoon! I installed it, and made a product review video for my You Tube channel. It is uploading as we speak, go check it out!

1 Like

Here you go. Enjoy!

3 Likes

Awesome video!

1 Like

They fired mine through TIME! lol

2 Likes

I would like to let y0ou know that I revived my “Suckit” it was well package and the workmanship looks great and goes together as the video shows. it was a well done project…again thank you

2 Likes

My unit is just too underpowered, I couldn’t use a spur for anything-- the suction is just too terrible. Maybe this should more be a review of Grizzly’s dust collector than anything. I almost went with the Jet, but suction seemed like suction and the numbers were comparable.

What is that Friday September 11 doing there. Is that time traveling or what.

No way it will take 5 working days to Seattle from Cincinnati. Mine went from Ontario to Cincinnati, to DC, to very rural, one lane mountains of WV in 2 days total. Guessing you will see it no later than Wednesday because of the weekend. (Cincinnati to DC by airplane then dropped in the USPS)

2 Likes

I suspect you are correct. I have a 20 year old Jet DC, I took a 16 foot 4 inch hose, added a Y at the end.
One side goes to a 10 foot flexible 4 inch hose, which I clamp to the table near the work piece.
The other side goes into a reducer down to a 2.5 inch hose that will stay in the shape you bend it (more or less), which I take around to the other side of the work piece.

This combination works really well, at least for a “small enough” work piece.

-Kelly

1 Like

After cleaning out the bag again yesterday because it was barely sucking at all even though the bag was only about 1/64 full, I can say again I’m very very disappointed. I don’t know if it’s Grizzly or just using a bag will always do this, but for sanding equipment it’s a very poor solution.

The XC doesn’t put off as much fine dust (if you are using it correctly) so it would be different.

For sanding you may need to build or buy a cyclone separator, that helps keep everything in the bucket, which should be easier/faster to empty.
But still, it seems like you’re having more trouble than you should, exactly which grizzly DC is this?

-Kelly

This is the one I bought. I had thought it was bigger but I remembered that I only bought the 1 HP because I thought that would be sufficient for the XC. Anything bigger just seemed excessive. Even now if I spent more I would go with a Festool or Fein vac. The dust collectors just get too huge for the space.

I thought the Cyclones were for separating the heavy stuff. My issue is the fine particles.

@PhilJohnson if you are stepping your hose down without leaving it open somewhere else you are definitely loosing suction. For what you paid I hope you are able to use your setup for more than just your XC.

The biggest issue you may be having is the size of the bag.
A smaller bag has less surface area internally and when you generate alot of fine dust tis becomes a “dust cake” on the inside surface. This improves filtration but cuts airflow.

A good cyclone will alleviate much of you problem since it uses centrifugal force to fling the particles to the outside of the cone where they fall out of the air stream, even the littlest ones, and very little makes it to the dust bag.

Is it possible to just put a hose on in place of the bag and shoot it out doors? simple and cheap solution if you can.

I have a cheap garbage can cyclone lid on my 1200cfm delta collector, and it captures pretty much anything bigger than flour. It would be nice to get a real cyclone, but for what it cost me for the lid and can I really can’t complain.

I use a $30 shop vac w/ dust deputy. Been running for a year. Almost nothing in vac last time I dumped.