Best upgrade EVER

your vibration is resonance from your motor running at low rpm, change your microstep setting to 1/8.
read this:http://www.geckodrive.com/support/step-motor-basics.html
and this one: http://www.geckodrive.com/microstep-full-step-torque

Try it ou will see what happen!!

http://www.geckodrive.com/microstep-full-step-torque

You may be on to something. I disconnected the motor from the Z axis coupler and the noise is definitely coming from there, although it’s not as amplified when not connected to the fast drive screw. How would I go about trying it at 1/8 on the X-Controller…? And can I not split the difference and do 1/4 to avoid sacrificing more holding torque than necessary?

You will not loose torque at 1/8 nut you can try 1/4 !! It will be better!!
read the link in my upper post, the one about microstep vs full

don’t forget to adjust your $102 after changing the microstep setting

1 Like

Ok, I somewhat get what the article is getting at, but unless I’m missing something in there, I still don’t know what I need to do to change the microstep on my setup. I have the X-Controller model X-Carve, do I need to tinker with the Z axis switches on the driver board? And do I need to adjust the potentiometer any to compensate?

Only the dip-switch, search the forum and you will find how to

haha, touche :slight_smile:

I changed my Z axis to 1/4 and it removed my vibrations.

Okay, I have been reading over this thread and a few others. I found the settings for 1/8, as well as half and full. 1/4 is the only one I can’t find. If I had to guess based on what I have learned, I would think it is supposed to be on, on, off. But I don’t want to take any chances. Would one of you guys mind handing me the answer?

edit: 1/8 does sound WAY better. I’d still like to try 1/4, though, to minimize the change from my old settings and any possible change in torque.

It’s silk screened on the board (top right corner of the picture below).

1/4 should be ON OFF OFF

I’d also recommend turning switch 4 off on all axis as well while you’re in there.

Already had 4 off and $1 set to 255 early on! :wink: And I was obviously just being lazy and only pulling the board out the back far enough to change switches, or my blind self might have seen that! Thank you, sir!

1 Like

Follow up to all of the above, 1/4 sounds fantastic and runs smooth. Still gotta dial in my new steps per mm, but the microstepping change is fantastic. Thanks for all the help guys!

1 Like

From a mechanical design:
The balls do not start on the edges of the bushings reducing the bearing capacity of the bearings.
The rods, even in steel are weaker than the Makerslide profile.
The bushings themselves can handle more than a Makerslide wheel.

This thread shows there is a large need for a better Z axis but I doubt that this design will really solve your needs for a better Z axis.

1 Like

Hi, tou can not press fit this type of linear bearings, they can be hold by a circlip or whatever but not press fitted because you will size them.

So many pseudo mechanical engineer here!

Anyway the new belt one is in stock this morning and I will give it a try!

MHO

1 Like

Presently I have one crappy z axis from an other vendor and it’s far better than the original!! My original was very sloppy and need adjustments of the v wheels often and … cause chatters…

So many fellows have this one and what I ear is only good feedbacks On this product and on their support!!

Now can’t wait to try this one! The belt one!

I’m also hoping to upgrade my z-axis.

What is the difference between this ($209) and this($194). I think those listings share the same description.

Thank you!

Ruwan.

Looks the same to me Ruwan. Same part number and same exact specs.

1 Like

Yeah, seller also replied. Seems the next batch is going to be at $209.

Did you buy the last one at 194?

Just did :slight_smile:

3 Likes