Beta Easel Driver Linux support (Debian & Ubuntu)

Yep. 64 bit code will only run on the Pi 3 … if you have an older raspberry Pi ( which I do, lots of them ) then it’s important that 32 bit support works, as you can’t run a 64 bit kernel / userland on them.

I currently am using node + iris.js on my Pi, and remotely controlling the Carvey through the use of ncat from a PC elsewhere.

My current toolchain(s) are:

Easel on Chrome 64 bit on Mac OS -> Carvey ( via ncat to pi )
V-Carve on Windows 64 bit on MacOS -> Easel on Windows 10 -> Carvey ( via ncat to pi )
MeshCAM on Mac OS -> Easel on Mac OS -> Carvey ( via ncat to pi )

No Worries,

I have a few Raspberry Pi’s 1 and 2 kicking around and am building a couple of cameras to mount on the xcarve.

It occurred to me they might be able to run some small projects as well.

1 Like

Hi,

Just thought I would let you know we ran another week with Linux on both machines and the only thing I noticed was that our older machine with the Arduino the Carve button was green even though the Arduino was turned off.

Not sure how many carves we did but they all worked perfectly.

Steve

2 Likes

Hi. I am currently using opensuse and would like to know if there is any way to create a packaged RPM for other distributions. or where I can get the source code to create an RPM package for opensuse. =)

Hello today I tried to create the RPM using ALIEN and it generates the package without problems but I get a problem of permissions with the usb port.

I tried to run it as root but can not find the command

im going to Keep looking for some solution to that problem but if someone has any ideas please give me some advice =)

I already found the solution was a matter of adding my user to the DIALOUT group and I already have access to the USB port =)

That’s really cool - I am happy it has worked for you using the translation tool.
I have updated the thread title to notice that the support is initially only for Debian systems, once we move the deb driver from the experimental stage to general public we can discuss other Linux distributions. Can you send me a DM with what version of opensuse you are using please?

Hey,
great to hear that there is now a linux driver :slight_smile: I installed it on my Kubuntu 18.04 laptop but the button won’t turn green. I am getting the “cannot find your machine” error. Any ideas what I can try?
Here is what I already did:

• restart
  • tried firefox and chromium
  • systemctl shows easel-driver running -> I restartet it
  • tried different usb port (I am in the dialaout group, arduinoIDE can see the arduino).
    Thanks for your help!

Thanks for the Debian build of the Easel driver (now I just need to dig out an old laptop to put out in the shop with my X-Carve).

I would also like to chime in that having an ARM architecture version of the Linux driver build for using on the Raspberry Pi would be extremely helpful. One of the awesome things about what Inventables is doing with the X-Carve is embracing open source technologies and helping get maker tools into more hands. In that spirit, being able to use the Raspberry Pi with the X-Carve would fit beautifully.

3 Likes

Thanks to everyone who has helped us test the driver. We have officially released the version and any feedback can be added to the new thread at Easel Driver 0.3.12 - Linux support

2 Likes