Dewalt DWP611 Dust Shoe

@AlanDavis Are there plans for this dust shoe? How do I make one? I really like your design!

I think this post have everything you need. You may want to go over from beginning.
These are the files, first zip file for easel, second one for VCarve drawing and last one for pictures and instruction.More instructions and discussions follows.

9 Likes

Thanks Allan

Thank You Very Much!

Since I’m a 3D Printing guy and my xcarve is not quite up and running I am working on this 3d printable version (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:973284 ), which has a similar design to it. I may end up switching to your design once my Xcarve is up and running though. Thank you!

2 Likes

It is identical. Only difference is my design is up and down height adjustable for different bit sizes.

You all may consider that I attach my vinyl skirt to the perimeter of the lower plate on the dust shoe with 1/2" wide strips of self-adhesive Velcro. You can’t get the vinyl and Velcro to separate once stuck together so be careful when sticking the two together. The vinyl is so cheap you can make a few different length skirts to work with different work-piece thicknesses and with the Velcro, they are easily interchangeable. I used thinner (as in cheap) vinyl and did two layers which staggers the slits. I wish the fact that dust collection is an absolute necessity before trying to machine anything was more clearly instructed when I started. Newbies take note. The vinyl skirt works great and makes all the difference. I initially used a vac with a small diameter hose and it not only picked up the dust as well as the 2" hose vac but I didn’t have issues with sucking the vinyl up into the vac hose and off the table.

For anyone interested in 3D printing Allen’s dust shoe design, I have created a STL file for 3D printing. This is not my work and based 100% off of his excellent work. So far I only have the top plate done, but expect to have the bottom plate soon.dw611_dust_shoe_top (2).stl (97.4 KB)

1 Like

@AlanDavis Thanks for posting these, but I must be missing something. I see that you have two holes for alignment when flipping a piece over, but the holes show in the files for both sides. Doesn’t that mean that if I use these files (I’m importing your .svg files into Easel), that it will try and cut through the hold down bolt? I guess I was thinking there should be a couple of hold down holes in one side that are missing on the flip side, so Easel doesn’t try to cut them.

In the meantime, here’s the dust shoe I’m using… You may have heard of “the red Solo cup song”? Well, this is the Block Solo Cup Dust Shoe…

-Kelly

So I broke down and bought the Dewalt 611 dust shoe from Kent CNC and I must say that I am very happy with my purchase. Not only does it allow my shop vac to get almost all of the chips and dust but also looks very professional. Here is a picture of my complete setup and then a close up of the dust shoe.

2 Likes

Looks like you missed one step. This is two sided cut. You’ll see two SVG files for both sides. Magnet side and top side for upper holder, Magnet side and bottom side for Brush holder plate.

Yep, I see that in the instructions. So, for upper holder, it says the holes in center and edges are to screw it to the waste board. But those holes are in the SVG file for both sides of the top plate, and the equivalent holes are in both sides for the bottom plate.

My point is, if I clamp down the material, and it cuts the holes, then I flip the piece and put screws in those holes, when it gets to the point of cutting the holes again, there are going to be sparks.

-Kelly

Best I can tell, if you’re Easel user, please go pockets and make necessary changes. I simply cut all parts and pockets with Vcarve/UGS. I didn’t try with Easel. (I never used Easel for anything) I might be wrong. Apologize for the hard time you have Kelly. The target is to make Top part’s magnets a little exposed to go into Bottom part’s magnet washer holes. That time it doesn’t travel, stays stationary.

No problem, I just wondered if I was missing something obvious, I’ll figure something out.
Thanks for making the files available in the first place!

-Kelly

1 Like

How does that help with dust management?

You are more than welcome to your opinion. I however feel that was a great investment. I operate a small woodworking shop when I’m not busy with my day job in the US Army. So for me it was well worth the money and I would recommend it to anyone wanting a good dust shoe option to purchase.

This is an image of the “Aloha Dust Shoe” courtesy of Jeff Parish, Nothing escapes this shoe and the clear acrylic lets you see exactly what is being carved. The flexible hose traverses back and forth on a couple of pulleys to minimalize unnecessary exerted force on the gantry. The hose leads to a homemade cyclone collector and then on to my shop vac. There is virtually no dust generated in the shop.

1 Like

The Aloha Dust Shoe? I like it! Glad you like it too. I have since moved the assy to the right side. Just gave me easier access to the 611 collett button. Nice job!

No picture…it didn’t happen!!

I didn’t send (take) one.

No offense intended Jeff. I am inspired by your work and thought you might have a picture of the new assembly.