Dewalt DWP611 Dust Shoe

I have seen that about half of the people seem to have their router higher and had to cut a notch in the mount for the collet lock. Others are like me and have theirs low enough to access the lock. To this date everything that I have worked with is 1" or less thick. That combined with the fact that the bits I use the most are only 1.5" total length I just don’t need the router any higher. But it is very simple to raise the router up if I need to and I am sure that the time will come that I need to do that and I will have to deal with the dust shoe problem at that time. I will probably just make a couple more dust shoes with different length skirts. They are very easy to change so I would consider that. Let us know how the adjustable skirt works out.

I just cut your template using .25" Acrylic. Fits perfect around the 611.I have screwed the bottom to the plate using 2 #4 screws. Magnet Install tomorrow. I think the skirt will be held on by magnets eventually also. The back side of the mount remains an unsolved issue. As I use or plan to use some longer bits and plan 3d deep cuts, I can see more than one length of skirt might be necessary, even with some adjustment possible on each. Thanks!

3 Likes

Here’s a short video of a test run with the all clear acrylic dust mount. The Brass screws work great. I cut slits in the acrylic “skirt” as wide as the shoulder of the screws, which are sunk to the depth of the shoulder of the screw. Works great with the .08 acrylic. Slips on and off very easy. The pic at the end barely shows the insert I made from the flexible acrylic and put together with CA glue. I ran the final pass without the front skirt piece on and had no dust! Stuart, you mentioned a piece that you had included in your .dxf file that I imagine is performing the same task. This is the first I have used such as piece and it is well worth it, it seems.

2 Likes

The dust mount looks good. Forgive me but I noticed that I’m not the only one that has cut off the end of one of his work piece clamps. LOL. Happy New Year.

For sure they are expendable! Not afraid to show my learning curve!

1 Like

My learning curve was steep. Cut a couple of those before I realized it on my first attempt at a cut. LOL. Appreciate your sense of humor on this.

I’ll share my worst one to date…I broke a brand new Amana bit when I didn’t guessitmate the tool path accurately and ran into one of the clamps on the way to the start point! Snapped it in two! Fortunately, I usually only make these mistakes once! But, it’s a great product that I look forward to doing much more with. I cannot make these Cheese boards fast enough! Sold 10 from one FB post! The inlay ability is an awesome tool!

Sounds like cheese boards are all the rage. Just finished a couple as christmas presents…

-Tom

5 Likes

Do you have any files for this yet??? (Stl?)
Thanks!

Nice job! The colorful knives really set off the wood colors and inlay

i should have something this week. Had some personal things come up.

Very Nice! Is that Blood wood? very pretty.

That’s actually “cherry” from Inventables. Bought it a long time ago and just had a chance to use it. Pretty sure it’s not really cherry though (sorry inventables - just sayin’ - most iridescent “cherry” I’ve ever seen).

This is purple heart :smile:

Before bee’s wax:

After bee’s wax:

I have real cherry on maple somewhere but I can’t find a pic right now.

Great fun pulling the project together and making it come alive. Hopefully the family will be equally impressed.

-Tom

1 Like

That “Cherry” looks a lot like Padauk.

below is a link to the original design for now… dust_base_1.STL (1.1 MB)dust_base_2.STL (83.4 KB)

2 Likes

Thank you sir. Looks good

I downloaded the STLs and the size is not correct it shows only 6mm high. Could you tell me what the Z height is the other proportions should correct themselves. Thx, Nice work.

I assumed inches as the scale and from that I get 5.262 x / 2.787 y / 6.05 z

I scaled it uniformly by 2,540% and got to the correct dimensions…I think.