Dewalt DWP611 Dust Shoe

Honestly for that top plate I do have 36x24 plastic sheet, it was sitting on my basement. Of course you can use clear acrylic, this time you don’t have to worry about window and window pocketing.

I just got my X-Carve/DWP611 up and running yesterday and already today I am looking for a dust collection solution! Of all the ones I have seen I really like yours the best, Alan. I noticed someone mentioning a Word doc with a materials list to build this shoe but I cannot find it anywhere. Please point me towards it or repost it if possible. Thanks and great work!

No Problem. Following word doc have major material list and vendors. Screws you can find on jpg files.

Shoe parts.doc (25 KB)

1 Like

Did you have to buy 50 feet of the brush material from McMaster?

What’re you mean 50 feet. Where did you get that.
All you need is 3 feet.

Easy-Cut Strip Brush 1/4" Wide x 3/16" High Backing

2" Overall Height, 3 Ft. Length
7900T5

Each
$10.02

I’ve been following this thread about dust shoes and in the middle of the night laying in bed building parts for my machine I thought. What would happen if inside the dust shoe there was an inter ring made of UHMW plastic that was set so it set on the sheet material being cut and hold the material down to the table. This would really help when cutting on large thin sheet material where you can not hold the center of the material down to the table.
The ring would be spring loaded to apply enough pressure on the material but not so much pressure to cause problems.

Dave

Only trouble I see there is from my experience with the dust shoe here, it takes VERY little pressure to mess with the Z-axis on this thing.

What are the .crv files for?

Those are V-Carve pro or Desktop files.

@DanBrown not sure what you have $1 set at, but if you set $1=255 you won’t have that issue (at least not unless your going so far down that the plastic hits. #HopeThisHelps

Alan, Is this made from the plans you put up on forum recently? I told you I had some 1/4" plastic, took it back and ordered some 1/2" plastic off of internet and 2" brush material. Just waiting for the plastic to arrive. Probably will need some hand holding to figure out transferring plan from forum to easel if that is ok with you?

1 Like

No problem at all, that’s public.

Can I make the whole thing from 1/2" x 1’ x 1’ sheet plastic?

Yes you can. Reason I used thinner plastic for top is not to loose Dewalt’s push button. You may have to lower your router a little more. As long as keeping brush and magnets pockets in same depth, you’re good.

The problem I’m having is that I believe the pressure up from underneath is rocking the router back slightly by twisting the X-gantry. I’ve clamped the two pieces of makerslide together with vertical bolting which seems to have greatly reduced the twist when I try to move it by hand, but it did not correct the issue with the shoe. Removing the brush but leaving all other hardware in place returned the performance immediately to the way it was before. Replacing the brush with foam likewise resulted in a return to excellent pocket-bottom finish. The only thing I can figure is that the bristles on the brush exert sufficient upthrust pressure when they reverse directions that it forces the z axis to twist on the gantry a bit. I’ve checked all my connections and v-wheels, of course.

Actually there is way to eliminate that. But I couldn’t do it. Brush material must be 45 degree angle looking down. I saw that somewhere on the net. This time doesn’t affect the head assembly. It opens very easy when push down. If anyone can find the way to make 45degree angle pocket for brush, that is the solution, because it’s pushing up on first down.

That does make a lot of sense, it would certainly let the brush flex without transmitting nearly as much force back up into the Z-axis slide… Hmm, now I just need to come up with a way to implement that!

1 Like

Mill 2 rings with a 45 deg slope on the edge.

Flip one upside down.

Now the space between them is a 45 deg channel
Glue both rings to your base.

Does that make sense?

2 Likes

Update - my plastic carpet runner skirt was eaten. I was cutting a profile in 1" stock and eventually the skirt got close enough to the bit as the gantry moved toward the front of the machine. So there is a hole. I didn’t think it would be a big deal, but that 1" hole allows A LOT of dust and chips to escape.

I am hesitant to use a brush because I am really accustomed to seeing what is going on where the bit hits the material. The clear plastic carpet runner (less than a dollar) was ideal for that. Has anyone used a camera under thier shoe and a monitor of some kind?

I tried camera, it’s too much vibration and dust. Maybe more expensive camera with stabilizer might work.