Do I really need to upgrade my X-Carve?

I think the $5 stiffening solution is a great way to start out, and I’d be very interested to know if you see any kind of a difference in cut quality before and after. If you can find or make braces for the Y axis that don’t obstruct any moving parts, that’s even better. You may even be able to cut out aluminum braces similar to mine (https://discuss.inventables.com/t/y-axis-braces-and-belt-dust-shield/15681) with the original spindle after you get the X axis stiffened, although I’m hesitant to recommend that since it would take a LONG time.

The 611 does require a new bracket, and the 611 itself is ~$110 USD, so it’s a bit of an investment. I encourage upgrading to it when you can afford it, since you’ll ask yourself why you waited so long the first time you use it. I did a simple before and after comparison with the original spindle and the 611 (https://discuss.inventables.com/t/24v-spindle-vs-611-router-quantified/15753), and the cut time dropped from 105 minutes to 6 minutes, although a more ideal speed with a cleanup cut would have taken it up to 14 minutes. If you want faster cuts, replacing the spindle will make your day.

I second the “30-minute mod” with the bolts. It helped control some flex in the x axis with my spindle, and I have the Dewalt 611.
I have also cut the aluminum brackets for the y axis stiffening mod @RobertA_Rieke put together, but have not had time to install them. It took roughly 13 minutes per bracket with my settings and the 611 to mill.
I did not break any bits until I did trial and error cutting to see if my machine could match the calculator settings in aluminum. It has been a fun learning process so far.
I bought my machine with the Dewalt and have never used the 24V spindle, so I can’t speak for the upgrade. I knew I wanted to be able to mill aluminum from the beginning.

Cheers!

Whoa!!! 105 to 6 minutes? I am convinced!

I think the best things you can do to the machine are little things that help its reliability. Most of the people on here who get frustrated with their machines find out that it’s a loose wire somewhere or a dodgy connection, or a loose V wheel or eccentric nut, or slack in the belts. It’s also the first thing we always tell anyone having problems.

So, my advice is that you don’t need to spend big bucks on upgrades to be happy with your machine. I was very happy with mine even before upgrading the spindle. You can spend little bucks and be meticulous and painstaking with your setup and you’ll be much happier. I devised a way of mounting the eccentric nutted V-wheels to make them easier to adjust and so that they won’t come loose. I also used crimp-on fork connectors to terminate my wires so that it’s easier to troubleshoot loose connections. Things like that don’t cost a lot, but make a big difference to the reliability of the machine, and really that’s where the fun is.

I have been getting 100% carbide bits (1/4 and 1/8 shank) from a local machine tool supply house-H&C in Rochester NY. I just call them and they have them waiting at the “will call” window.

These machine bits are a lot cheaper and seem to be sharper than the carbide router bits that I used to use with my wood working.