Easel app suggestions

Hi everyone,

I’m looking for some good ideas for an app and was wondering what you would like to see as a new app?

Just one thing: the better you describe what you wish to see, the more likely I can try to achieve it :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Jelle

2 Likes

I am some what of a noob to CNC but I have been doing woodworking for quite awhile. What I would like to see is a way to add points to objects that I use image trace to import. It’s easy to delete points, but not add them to an imported image. Only other one that I can think of is the ability to use a V-carve bit, cove, or chamfer with out having to select V-Bit and worry about the Z axis. Mostly just random thoughts…Good luck to you.

A gradient app. You can see an example here.

3 Likes

A pecking app would be handy. Maybe a spacing tool, too. One that would allow you to use “phantom” lines or something to that affect that don’t get carved, but are used just for item placement.

2 Likes

A nesting app. If you are making a bunch of the same things or have multiple objects, just an app that can arrange them in the most material saving efficient way.

6 Likes

A DXF importer app

as currently design in a cad package and export out as a DXF > DXF into illustrator and save as a SVG > then SVG to EASEL

would be great to take a step out of the process

also would be cool to define the difference between cut lines and marking out (working out) lines (and these not cut lines)

1 Like

Thanks for the ideas guys, I think I’ll start with the dxf to svg converter :slight_smile:

I will keep you informed when I’ve made some progress!

6 Likes

that would be awesome and welcomed by many especially all the cad users

1 Like

Hi guys,

I’m working with inventables on the app and I’m ready to start testing some dxf files. I have tested some of mine and they all turn out great but to be more complete, I would like to test some of yours. If you have any, send me a private message and we’ll talk how to transfer them to me.

Thanks !

Jelle

1 Like

This isn’t so much an APP suggestion as a feature of easel itself, but How’z about this… Since EASEL knows when you turn your spindle on (by asking you to verify it is on), Why not keep an ongoing log that totals the number of hours you have been running your spindle /DEWALT 611 (and make it reset able when you change the brushes)

2 Likes

Hi @JelleVanRegen

I sent you a file that I developed in solidworks, cheers Jady

2 Likes

I wold like to see some kind of wood joinery app. Like creating dovetails or boxjoints.

1 Like

Hi guys,

I’m pleased to say that I have been working with inventables on the DXF to SVG app. It has been released today for beta testing.

Two things you should know: DXF files should be encoded in ANSI 1252 (standard) and file size should be smaller than 2 MB. We are however looking into some ways to improve this.

Please reply here if you run into some bugs or any other problems and try to be as specific as you can.

Cheers,
Jelle

1 Like

That’s awesome Jelle

where can it be found in the software, can you attach a screenshot or 2

thanks

It can be found in the “Beta” category in the App Library.

First click on the “Apps” button:

40 AM

Then click on the “Beta” category:

1 Like

that’s awesome, thanks for sharing

First of all, Thanks for the app. I’m trying to import a DXF from AutoCad but I get my file [mm] scaled down [factor 22.727272]; that’s not a big deal and easy to modify. The problem is that I cannot choose to cut (inside, outside o on the line and even fill)…
Some of the curves of the closed polylines are converted to lines
I’ve tried Autocad dxf 2004 version
Thanks!!

Hi Ezequiel. Thank you for the helpful feedback! The scaling was mentioned before and I will have a look how we can fix this. Can you post your DXF here so I can try it myself? Thanks, Jelle

Longitudinal 4 popa.dxf (231.6 KB)
Here’s the file (I don’t know if I uploaded correctly); I’ve added a rectangle of 600x400 mm in order to help me with the scaling but it’s not part or the model

Hi Ezequiel, it uploaded just fine, thank you. Could you also maybe upload and SVG of this file with your traditional method? (inkscape, online converder, AI, …). This way I can compare both SVG’s and see where they differ. :slight_smile: