Estlcam machine controller

Can anyone help me with terminal numbers layout and what is the gcode for spindle on off (no speed control) for Astlcam, I am considering upgrading from Universal GCode Sender

Estlcam offers several pin layouts - just select the one you prefer in the “Arduino pin layout” list:

• The selected layout will be described on the right half of the window.
  • Most layouts have a dedicated “Spindle on / off” output.
  • If necessary (or convenient because your hardware is already wired this way) you can also use the PWM output to switch the spindle on and off. In this case you just need to make sure the lower and upper rpm limits for the spindle are set to 0 and 1 to make the output behave as a switching signal instead of PWM:

1 Like

I use Vcarve pro and wonder if my post processor file will work with Estlcam, if no can you put a link for the new one please :sunglasses:

regards Neal

I let estlcam flash my arduino and after a bit of tweaking on the Y axis(10mm asked was 9.8mm or so moved) the things runs nicely.

One thing I did notice is that if I turn on my shopvac after starting the milling process the probe alert triggers and I loose contact with the arduino. This does not happen in UGS.

So far this looks a great program to control the XC. :+1:

I think there is a small diffence in the pin layout on the Arduino for Estlcam and UCS, thats why I wanna check everything before I make the switch

Same thing happened when I flipped a lightswitch in another room…

@ChristianKnull

Would be nice with a couple counters in this view when machining. Time spent and ETA on finish.

[quote=“NealRobinson, post:130, topic:14660, full:true”]
I use Vcarve pro and wonder if my post processor file will work with Estlcam[/quote]

• Try a Mach3 or LinuxCNC post processor.
  • Estlcam accepts almost anything in terms of formatting but supports only basic commands like G0 G1 G2 and G3.

[quote=“Ebr, post:131, topic:14660, full:true”]
One thing I did notice is that if I turn on my shopvac after starting the milling process the probe alert triggers and I loose contact with the arduino.[/quote]

• This is unfortunately quite typical for high power inductive loads like vacs or compressors. They can cause strong interferences which may trigger inputs or cause trouble with the USB port.
  • Quite complex topic with many things to consider like e.g. proper grounding and shielding, separating power and control wires etc.
  • Unused inputs should be kept disabled.
  • Adding 100nF capacitors to input pins as close to the Arduino as possible usually solves all accidential triggering issues.
  • If USB connection is lost this is more difficult - but nothing specific to Estlcam but USB in general. The only difference between Estlcam and some g-code senders is that Estlcam does not attempt to reconnect automatically because I consider this a too severe error to just retry as if nothing happened.

[quote=“NealRobinson, post:132, topic:14660, full:true”]
I think there is a small diffence in the pin layout on the Arduino for Estlcam and UCS[/quote]

• Unfortunately GRBL itself has 2 different layouts - the old without PWM and the new with PWM.
  • The “GRBL” setting refers to the old one while the “GRBL PWM” refers to the new.
  • The layouts are compatible as long as you choose the right version - there are just a few unused pins and pin 13 of the “GRBL PWM” layout is used as digital spindle on / off signal instead of spindle direction.
  • For first tests the “GRBL safe” layout is usually the best option. It has limited functionality but avoids all conflicting pins.
  • Maybe I’ll add this in future - but I also intentionally try to limit the amount of data displayed to keep the program as simple as possible.

Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.

What you could do is to hide the jogging controls while running and show some stats

Then show the jogging controls again if a pause happens( tool change e.g ).

Just saying… not a “must have” feature at all.

Anyway - I just completed my first 2 tool job via estlcam and it works! :smile:

I find the probe with ESTLCAM is ridiculously sensitive. I have itl setup now with resitors and capacitor and the like, Running with UGS, and the latest program I use now is Grbl-Panel and it works beautifully. but for some reason with Estlcam controller you have to look at a light switch and it will trigger mid job. I dont understand how it can be so different if its the same hardware, and same wiring etc. Just one of those things I guess.

I think there is a difference in the code regarding how the probe triggering is handled and that UGS simply ignores probe trigger events after a job is started. Been running UGS with probe for a while now and never had these events pop up mid job. My probe setup is just plain wires - no resistors, capacitors and what not.

I would think the probe event has been triggered many times the lasts months as I have turned my shopvac on an off during jobs using UGS. Nothing has changed, apart from software.

So if I reconnect my routers’ Solid State Relay pos+ve to pin 13 where do I connect the neg-ve? and do I need alter my PP file to start/stop spindle? or will Estlcam do it for me? At the moment my PP file does the start and stop commands.

1. Again I need to know the stop start gcode for example is it m8 on, m9 off?

2. Is there a way to hinder the probe as I dont like or use it, I just use a bit of paper under the mill bit etc. to Zero

Check under setup tab

Thanks @Ebr

is that John Cleese doing a funny walk in your “icon”?

BTW I also live in Norway, Ålesund :smile:

To one of the Arduinos “GND” pins.

If you use Estlcam to create your CNC code you don’t need to change anything. Also most other CAMs will usually create the correct codes by default (M3 and M5)

You can disable it in the “Inputs” tab.

Yeah, that is John Cleese for sure.

I believe you are the 7th Norwegian I’ve encountered on the forum thus far. :smile:

@ChristianKnull please make an adjustment if possible:

After having started machining make Arduino or whatever component it is that listens for probe events ignore them. The probe is irrelevant after having set xyz 0 and started the job.

1 Like

Fooled around last night and added an easter egg with version 8.305 :wink:

5 Likes

Almost reason enough to buy a copy :slight_smile: