Estlcam machine controller

You don’t even need to buy it to do this - Estlcams CNC Controller is free anyways.
Only the CAM functions are shareware.

I’ll have to wait for the Linux version …

Nice clock man! Love it. :thumbsup:

Easter egg is of the invisible kind?

I just released Version 8.306 with some improvements:

• Calculations are now done parallel to machining -> no more short but annoying slit-second breaks for preprocessing.
  • Much faster handling of large files (especially those with hundreds of thousands of lines).

I’d be happy about some feedback - parallel / multi thread processing tasks are quite notorious for surprises that are hard to detect in a “lab environment”.

2 Likes

How does the scale function work?If I scale 50% and then 200% should it be back to the original size? Sometimes if I scale multiple times the toolpath will flip or disappear completely.
Is there any chance of adding an undo function.
Cheers
Jon

Yes.

Flipping should not happen - but as long as items are selected the mouse is a bit “dangerous” as it may cause further scaling if you click accidentially.

This is unfortunately very very difficult and unlikely to be implemented. The whole program structure has not been designed with undo in mind.

If I scale something 50% then scale to 200% it does not return to the original size.
Then if I scale it back to 50% it flips it both vertically and horizontally.
OK I just tried something different. If after scaling I hit the close “X” it works OK.
Also if I use the up and down arrows to change the scale it doesn’t return to 100% if I scale down and then back up.
Am I doing it wrong.
JH

Ooopppsss… you’re right - there is a bug in the scale function.
I’ll try to correct it with one of the next updates.

I have found an issue, It appears I um unable to used Holding Tabs, and also do a lead in or start.
I go through and add my holding tabs,I select start or lead in, and as soon as i click where i want the holding tabs dissapear.

Is this something you are aware of and able to fix?

Tabs, start and lead in cannot be mixed on purpose:

• Lead in is to make sure the tool does not plunge in along the toolpath -> but using a holding tab would enforce exactly this.
  • Also start + tabs: why would you want to start at a specific position if the part is held securely in place by the tabs anyways?

In my case I do require both, I am doing something with a few intricate bits on it out of 3mm mdf, I am using Holding tabs to securely hold it in place, however it seems ESTLCAM choose the absolute WORST place to plunge and start the cut, and it seems to have a good chance to wreck the detailed part.

If I set the start on a away from that section with no tabs, it does the detail fine, but then of course no holding tabs I run the risk of a bit of wiggle and I have to get my fingers in there, but as soon as i use holding tabs to save my fingers, ESTLCAM always wants to start in a bad place, and the finer detail section always takes a hammering.

Either way I will just move on and find a solution to the problem but a warning box would be useful if somebody selects one while the other is in place as it is misleading as i thought it was a bug.

Hi,

there is a way to achieve this:

• Use the “Engraving” function (with offset to the left or right side) instead of “Outside” or “Inside”…
  • Track the shape manually…
  • This toolpath will always start where you started creating it - no matter where you set the tabs…

@JonHirsch: I found and corrected the issue with the scale function but need a few more days until the next update to release it.

Update 8.308: fixed the scale bug and a crash prone painting function.

One other thing I found was that if I define a toolpath then add holding tabs and then flip the toolpath the tabs don’t stay where they were placed on the toolpath.
I did this once and didn’t notice they had changed position on the toolpath.
Cheers
Jon

Thanks for that tip, using the Engrave works perfect, letting me decide where I want the path to start.

Is there any chance down the line that when you hide/lock a layer it also hides the toolpath generated from that layer? one of the things I find and yes its user error not setting it right in the first place, , i go through and do all the tooth paths, then I realise I forgot to set depths, and one thing I do is all different depths have their own layer,it would be good to lock all but say the 2mm layer, then I can select all those and set the depth, then I can select the 5mm layer and set that etc.

Also when you have depth set to ask later, and you use multiple tools, it would be handle if it asked for the depth for each tool.

Just a wishlist…

I think this would be counter-productive. Usually you don’t want (or at least I don’t want :wink: ) the toolpaths to disappear with the layers. Its just something that no matter how you program it there will always be someone who needs it just the other way round.

But have a look at the “group” feature in the edit menu. You can group items so you just need to click once if you want to change something.

[quote=“KieronMarshall, post:165, topic:14660, full:true”]
Also when you have depth set to ask later, and you use multiple tools, it would be handle if it asked for the depth for each tool.[/quote]

Tool and toolpath depth are completely independend for Estlcam - a tool can cut at any and multiple depths for multiple toolpaths. It would create more workflow restrictions to link those properties than to keep them separate.

Christian

Thanks I didnt think of group. Group kind of does what I am wanting I will start experimenting with that, do the tool paths for a layer then, group, tool pathe another layer, unselect first path group then group etc.

Don’t worry I will no longer be making suggestions from now on, it seems I am of the smallest minority :wink:

I would like to suggest having keyboard shortcuts. I’m pretty sure there are none, not even Ctrl+s for save. Nothing fancy, just the basics would be handy :slight_smile:

Really enjoying using the CAM and controller, I definitely recommend it to anyone wanting a step up from Easel without the huge price.