Marketing input

Continuing the discussion from Carvey update:

I’m right in there with @AngusMcleod and @Ebr.

I currently have a 3D printer that is doing an adequate job for me as I have gotten used to its quirks over the last year or so. I’m constantly looking for an upgrade, but what I would like to have is just not out there. There are lots of choices for the hardware, but I want open standards with a great company to back it up.

An open standards 3D Printer from Inventables would certainly get my attention, and most likely my dollars.

3 Likes

I purchased a cheap XYZ 3D printer at Christmas time on sale. Now I’m hooked. But the model that I have is very limited when it comes to add ons and extra features. With that said, one of my next projects will be a DIY 3D printer. Since I already have the Xcarve, then I would definitely be interested if they made this option available.

Count me In!!!

You can already buy ~90% of what you need to build a 3D printer from the Inventable’s store…

Extrusions for the frame
NEMA Motors (2 for Y, 1 for X, 1 for Z)
GT2 belts
Motor Brackets
Bearings, couplers, pulleys.
Arduino
Power Supply
Nuts, bolts… etc

All that’s missing is some smooth rods, heat bead, ramps 1.4 board and some type of hot-end.

The trick would be to build something BETTER then your standard i3 Prusa (google ‘Folger Tech 2020 i3’ to see an i3 built using Aluminum Extrusion as the frame).

IMHO… It would be a very hard market to enter. Printrbot, Ultimaker & Lulzbot (Aleph Objects) already create award winning open hardware printers with amazing support ($1k - $3k). You’d also have to compete with the do-it-yourself-for-cheap companies like Folger Tech (under $300), or the never ending i3 clones coming out of China (Geeetech, Monoprice… etc @ $350).

1 Like

I purchased this unit and so did a few other people from the Shapeoko forum awhile back.
Sunhokey Acrylic Reprap Prusa i3 DIY Kit

It was $325 then and is now $255

It has held up well, has a lot of support with mods on Thingiverse, and a mature forum presence.

Trying to compete with this is extremely hard. It is the same reason we purchased the Shapeoko/X-Carve is the price point.

No love for Bart Dring’s Ordbot?

http://www.buildlog.net/wiki/doku.php?id=ord_bot:the_ord_bot

uses MakerSlide instead of smooth rods, and they function as the frame.

http://www.buildlog.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=2676

I think the the most deciding factor is price on an entry level printer. There are superior printer designs but the cost is usually the bottom line.

http://www.thingiverse.com/groups/sunhokey-3d-printer-owners/topics

Just one of many.

Also a lot of good YouTube videos on building and reviews.

I was able to start printing after it was assembled. It included a roll of PLA and ABS plastic.
No calibration done just curious if it would work. Here was my very first print.

I’ll toss out my trusty Folger Tech i3 (acrylic) into the mix @ $280…

Lots of support on diffrent forums… decent suport from the seller…

http://folgertech.com/products/folger-tech-reprap-prusa-i3-clear-frame-full-3d-printer-kit-ramps-gt2

IMHO… its a little more stable then the i3’s built using 2020 alum for the frame.

Why do you think so? Have been thinking about building an alum frame printer.

It depends on how you build it. The stronger the frame, the less vibrations and the cleaner the prints you get.

Most i3 kits that use Acrylic frames have sides attached to the front of the frame to improve rigidity. Acrylic also doesn’t warp/bend like the wood frame i3’s (MakerFarm).

Most of the i3 type printers i’ve seen that use 2020 aluminum for the Z tower look like this…

The one i played with didn’t have enough support to stop the print head movement from affecting the print quality.

Compare that with the Lulzbot Taz printers that use a box-frame to create the Z tower…

It produced the best quality print and was one of the fastest printers i’ve had a chance to play with (its also $$$)…

My next printer will probably be the Printrbot plus… same idea… big thick Z tower…

(~1/2 the cost of the TAZ with almost as good print quality and speed)

The stronger the frame… the better the print.

Thanks! Answers a lot of questions about build rigidity which will factor into a larger print area.