MDF and Small letters

Not much choice in the MDF around here, Lowe’s, Home Depot, Or Menard’s all have the same suppliers. And I have run out of money to buy more bits till Claim season starts again or I sell something.

BTW last home position in easel doesn’t work when you lose power. Luckily where it started carving again was in the waste part of the project.

I was thinking a carpenters square in the same spot each time. Until I get the Triquetra set up and running. Working on setting up UGS but this project is supposed to be done tomorrow.

I’m in N.E. Ohio and the MDF from Lowes is very different compared to Home Depot. Lowes material is much denser and cuts way better.

1 Like

I worked for Home Depot 3 years and here in KS they all have the same suppliers for MDF and most wood products. And I bought this from Lowe’s 1/2 mile from home.

True it’s the quality that they want to pass on to their customer on what they receive. Point taken.

Regardless I don’t like MDF anyway but test runs are cheaper in MDF than Hardwoods.

They both (around here) actually change product all the time, quality goes down each time too. I used to get MDF from HD that was almost as dense as masonite.

This work well using a ballnose bit on a earlier carve just not great on straight cut bits. Hopefully the V-bit will be cleaner.

DSC02564 This was with a ballnose.

I used to use th but to mark a spot at my home position to make it easy to reorient when I had an issue. Which was often lol. Get homing and the triquetra set us asap. You won’t be sorry.

I busted a couple of my Homing switches and just got a order of 20 in. once this carve is done I will get them installed. Triquetra just has to wait on the learning of UGS and time.

1 Like

DSC02565DSC02566

Well there it is. I think it turned out damn good even with the blown breaker. Thank you everyone for your help.

4 Likes

Nice work. How did you end up running the toolpaths?

I did the rough with .125 end mill and then finished with .25 60 degree v-bit. still some clean up to do.

You did all that pocketing with .125 bit?

Was going to do it in 3 bits but decided that It could do it in 2 bits just as easy.

How long was the roughing carve.

About 12 hrs

Holy cow!! That’s a hella long roughing pass. Using VCarve?