Paw paw's projects

Hey @PhillipLunsford,

Here’s another fan art project you could do a video on:

Keep up the good work!

7 Likes

@EthanKinney Thank you, that looks awesome

It’s that a trace? Looks too good to be one.

If you’ve made that you should sell it or keep it to yourself; before you know it, that image will be everywhere. You’re too generous!

It’s a trace. Saw a few like it online. Decided to make my own version:

9 Likes

I decided to reverse the color and I am going to carve it tomorrow. Again, thank you very much. @EthanKinney

2 Likes

Hi! Your work is beautiful. Your post is encouraging. I just finished building mine this week and I already have customers asking me for specific projects. I haven’t even opened my shop officially yet! But anyways, I have a question. I have someone asking me to carve a sketch of their dog. Your first project, the Valentine’s Day one, which bit did you use and how deep of a carve? Because the look of the bears is similar to what I am going for for this pup.

Thank you for any advice you’re willing to share with me :slight_smile:

@MeghanHorn congratulations on getting started. That’s an exciting time. The bit I use most often is the 90 degree v bit and it is the bit I used for these projects. The depth of cut is a little trial and error. The dog and is really a little to deep. I usually go about .6 to .1 inch deep. Often times that will leave a flat bottom. If you want it to come to a point at the bottom then go deeper and look at the preview. The program will go only as deep as the width of the design when the bit touches both sides. That why on the Mickey valentine the heart is very shallow and the ears are very deep. Actually too deep. I try not to go much deeper than .2 inch to achieve my goal. Remember, Part of the fun is experimenting. Use the preview, it will really help you.

1 Like

Phillip,

I saw you typed that you use a depth of .6 to .1. I am guessing that that is a 0.06 to 0.1 depth and just missed a zero on the 6 ? Thanks, always enjoy watching your amazing work.

Mark

1 Like

I have reached the two year anniversary on YouTube and just completed a major upgrade to the XCarve with more to come. I am loving the Z Axis from CNC4NEWBIE. Here is the video.

Very interesting Phil.
How are you going to attach your laser to the new Z axis?

1 Like

@JanVanderlinden. I am working with Jay at JTechphotonics to design one that will attach directly to the router

I look forward to seeing it in action.

1 Like

Testing the new Z axis from CNC4NEWBIE

2 Likes

Phil,
Before you got the J-Tech laser, Did you look at any other lasers?
Did you look at the Endurance 10 watt laser?

No, I am not familiar with that lazer

I was getting ready to pull the trigger on the J-Tech 7 watt, but started to a little more research.
What others did you consider and what made you settle in on the J-Tech?

The biggest reason was the ease of adding it to the XCarve. From reading on th forum it seems that people liked it. I also like the Lightburn software. I have to admit I have nothing to compare it to anything else. Just like the XCarve is my first CNC. As I grow in knowledge and get other CNC and lasers I can begin to better compare one to another

Carving Melamine and some disasters along the way. What not to do!

1 Like

Many people have asked about multi-layer signs. So here is a video on how to do one.

3 Likes

Could you explain this differently? So you add .002 to the thickness of the board and add .002 to the cut? Thanks in advance and love the YouTube videos!