Paw paw's projects

I use the work piece for the different parts. The bits are 1/32 for the small detail. 1/16 for the tiger. For most of the letters I used 1/8 bit. I posted my process right above your comments. Thank you for the compliment. I had fun making them

1 Like

Quick project to practice my epoxy inlay. Also tired of friends pushing the wrong button for the door to open.

8 Likes

Cool! What epoxy did you use?

Just used 5 minute epoxy mixed with a couple drops of pigment. Let dry for 24 hours and sand smooth. Sealed with laquer spray.

Nice – thanks! Signs look great!!

Phil, do you use spray shellac or bush on?

Spray. Usually use about three coats. Sand with 400 grit between coats

Thanks for that. I stupidly got a can of the brush on. It does work but it dries so fast that it can gloppy (that’s a real word…) real fast. I’ll use it up, but then go to the spay. I’ve never used shellac before, so live and learn. Thanks Phil.

I’ll definitely give that a go. I have enough left that I don’t want to chuck it, but the way I’ve been doing it is sub standard for sure. You’re the man

1 Like

I use the shellac as a sealer. And yes I do not sand. I use an old sock or t shirt to rub it on. The spray is laquer as the final step

1 Like

My experience with shellac so far is a lumpy one, but I didn’t cut it at all. Can’t wait to try it out the right way. I’ve used various oils, and poly, but I do like how quickly shellac dries, provided it can be controlled somewhat, which it sounds like it can be.

I have never had a problem with shellac. Another finished that I use from time to time is mix 50/50 shellac and linseed oil. Works great and dries almost immediately and is perfectly smooth

1 Like

Thanks for the great insights. I’ll definitely them all

Finally mounted the sign. I have been making some raised panel cabinet doors for the cabinets in my shop. I made them from 2x4 so it was a little labor involved. No pictures. I did them on the table saw and not the x carve. But it does provide the opportunity to put a design on the doors later.

5 Likes

love this thread , inspires me to get off my butt and create something

1 Like

Out with the old and in with the new. Ready for paint. The design was completely done in Easel

9 Likes

@PhillipLunsford
I have a 3d printer. If you give me the dimensions I can 3d print an attachment for your sander. :smiley:

Ready to install

10 Likes

Thank you. It will certainly look better than what I have there now

Latest project, can organizer, proof of concept. I grabbed a bunch of scrap melamine and threw this together. I mainly wanted to verify the ramps would work as well as the reach and grab a can concept would be easy. Now that I have all the basic information I can adjust easel and cut some nicer looking organizer

6 Likes