Paw paw's projects

Halloween is almost here. First coat of sealer. I’m running behind. This is first time using MDF .25”

6 Likes

Looks a little better painted. Still needs one more coat

5 Likes

Amazing what a little stain will do. Looks much better now

5 Likes

@PhillipLunsford

see this bleeding of the paint?

do you think that if you did a quick coat of shellac after carving but before painting you could stop this from happening?

1 Like

You are right. That should work. I always put two coats of shellac on before spray painting the black. I was very surprised to see this bleed through. I could not sand deep enough to remove all of it

@PhillipLunsford

ooooooooo that was with shellac even?

why do you think it bleed through on this?

Super soft wood is the only thing I can think of. I brushed the shellac on and flooded the carving to try to avoid the bleed. I was very disappointed

The only good thing is that this sign was only a test of the various fonts in Easel with the new Vcarving Pro

I see thats good it was only a test I know I have had good luck with using brush on poly to stop the bleeding but that takes awhile to drive

I wish there was something that was a sure thing almost like an epoxy

I may experiment with thinning epoxy with alcohol and see if it will work. Your right poly takes way too long to dry. Most of it should sand off

It may work then to stop the bleeding in this soft wood. I got to try this

we are talking about denatured alcohol right?

Yes lol definitely

better run back to the home depot i’ll return the wine coolers lol

Just run to Home Depot. Keep the wine coolers

What kind of epoxy? And what is the working time you get from it?

I use the 91% alcohol to clean brushes for both shellac and epoxy

I agree, I hate 5 minute epoxy but that is all I can find in my area. Short working time and it is brittle

That’s good to know. I’ve never tried to thin it before. Does it give you a longer working time also?

Good idea. I could not believe how much the soft wood soaked up the shellac and paint. The dark stain definitely helps. This will probably end up in the scrap bin anyway