Probe macro in easel for Z or all 3 axis

The machine inspector allows any gcode to be entered including G28.

Easel’s gcode import does not currently allow it. The importing of gcode is restricted and validated; machine inspector is not.

1 Like

The reason I was poking around in the Easel Local code was because I was wondering how hard it might be to write standalone utilities that wrote directly to Easel Local. Maybe something to home the machine, but who knows what else might be possible.

1 Like

Im not sure if this will help people but this how I zero my Z. The method can be modified if you want to zero x and y.

1 Like

I was referring to setting the work zero point, maybe using a touch plate. My initial thought was that if it wasn’t added to Easel anytime soon it might be possible to create a standalone app that would connect via Easel Local, perform the operation, then you use Easel from there. The idea is in the early stages of poking around and would involve the undocumented interface to Easel Local. The apparent need to bootstrap Easel Local with a full config was kind of a bummer, but understandable as Easel Local should be as simple and flexible as possible.

1 Like

We’re probing around on this right now.

5 Likes

I am one eyed as far as using easel over ugs. It just has the flexibility I require without all the tech considerations. That is why people here want the probe updates ASAP… It would make a great product almost perfect.

1 Like

Sorry for the confusion, see this thread: Easel update - #4 by ShaneBell

1 Like

Count me in on the macro button! I asked for the same last year.

1 Like

Thanks Phil for being a strong voice for this update. I am just setting up a school based machine and even though we have had major difficulties with the use of a web based system like Easel, have actually convinced the admin to allow access to this program in an otherwise Internet no go zone environment after lobbying to get a stand alone version of easel (Paid version) to be made available without luck. The probe feature would prevent the students from doing physical damage to the machine and bits by stopping them from crashing into the work piece. Yes we can use UGS for this but it’s a cow of a program to introduce into the classroom. Easel is such a simple interface that I don’t have to spend ages discussing the various idiosyncrasies of Gcode and the other confusing aspects of software. We can just concentrate on the design and cutting processes. So again adding a please to the Inventables to include the probing feature for Easel without the Xcontroller.

2 Likes

I’m not sure if this is the one you’re looking for Phil.
You must change Z value from .785 to what ever you have. Also You can make F1 to F2 for faster step.
.0625 value for .125 bit. Change to .125 if you do it for .25" bit.

I sent Zach K. the entire code to Auto Zero all three axis with my touch Plate months ago. The only change they need to make is to update the G-Code Spec for easel so that it will accept the G38.2 and G92 commands. If they would just do that then all would be well on planet earth. He assured me that his tech team would look into it and that is the last I ever heard about it. It would be nice to at least know why they won’t do it.

I’m sure it is not as simple as unlocking those two commands but if they can probe the Z axis in Easel then they can sure as heck probe X and Y!! Why they are refusing to do so is beside me… unless they plan to develop their own three axis touch plate and sell them. Now that would be a cheap shot wouldn’t it!!

Charley

1 Like

Glad you liked it. I found that it is far better than an alligator clip that can either get in the way or slip off larger diameter shank bit.

1 Like

You may want to add an option to your cables to work with the X-Controller probe.

1 Like

I would be happy to provide that if someone could tell me exactly which parts they are. Where did you get yours?

Hey Charley,
This one may help. Cheers.

Thanks for the kind words. After I made the first one I don’t know how I got along without it. Glad to hear it meeting your expectations.

Charley

1 Like

Hi Phil,

There is discussion but we have higher priority features to work on at this moment.

You can access the command prompt in the advanced menu but not in the walk through.

@Zach_Kaplan

Has anyone at Inventables looked into/considered opening up an Easel presence on github? Using the github issues feature – Easel bug reports and feature requests could be tracked, which would allow users to monitor their progress.

There are quite a few feature requests floating around the forum, but they tend to get lost in the discussions. Also, no way to know if Inventables has them on their radar.

@LarryM I’m not sure.

A number of people have noted we have a very hard problem with Easel. We are trying to make it as easy as possible to get started. We have so many people that are carving for the first time. However we also want it to help you through your journey as you build your skills. Once you get to @PhilJohnson 's level you’re asking for some fancy controls to operate a 777 but we also have people who are flying for the first time using the same software. How do we make sure it’s fit for passengers and sailors?

It’s a delicate balance and we have a very small team so we need to be thoughtful of which features we add and how we add them.

5 Likes

@Zach_Kaplan

Not a problem. I completely understand. My query was in regards to the ability to have a central point for feature requests and bug reports that is visible to the community so that we can look at them to determine what is being worked on and what is waiting for the appropriate time to be worked on. I would imagine that you have some internal system for tracking such things, but I was interested in finding out if you might make that public so people don’t have to ask you about the same things over and over. Github was just a thought as a meeting place.

I would imagine that your time is also limited. I do appreciate the fact that you are present on the forum and wish to thank you for your time and interest.

Larry

2 Likes