Rhino + RhinoCAM: What post-processor?

Hello @AbearDesign, is this only for Visual Mill?

I have bought Aspire in the end. So I can draw with Rhinoceros, export in dxf and generate the toolpath with Aspire

I havenā€™t tested it, but its for rhinocam which is visualmill plugin for rhino.

I will try testing this week. Havenā€™t touched my machine since January and need to finish installing and calibrating the x controller

I will report back when I do test and let you know results.

this is great!!!

i will test it asap.

I have a file that I know gave problems with the mach 3 post, letā€™s see what it does now

How can I download that pp and put it in Rhino?

you can either copy paste from the link above or go to the link below and scroll to x-carve grbl.spm and click save as. it needs to be placed in the directory with other post processors

C:\ProgramData\MecSoft Corporation\RhinoCAM 2014 for Rhino 5.0\Posts\Mill

is where mine is located

http://mecsoft.com/PostProcessors/MILL/

Thanks! Iā€™ll try if it work! (but I guess it shoud)

so long as you are using rhinocam, it should (still havenā€™t personally tested)

I tried to generate a toolpath and imported it in Easel just to check if it works, and seem donā€™t recognize it

hmm. ill be trying with ugcs this weekend.

to follow up. I havenā€™t done 3d / 3axis cut yet, but just finished a 2.5 and everything went well.

it was also my first time using the x controller on a cut. Still need to calibrate it but, it was close enough for a quick box.

to clarify my steps/process using the post processor

In rhino, I setup x-carve grbl as my post processor, setup tool paths, then exported the nc file. Ran it to the machine from UGCS

I made my part in inches.

After I calibrate, I will be testing 3d cuts. Between the wife and kids, not sure when that will be.

But, if it works with UCGS it should work with Easel too, Iā€™m correct?

no.

it has a few commands that arenā€™t in easels database. However, there is a fix to be able to use easel by changing an option.

I made a full tutorial for rhinocam. Link below, I hope it helps.

Oh thatā€™s nice!

I only asked because I thought that Easel was a sort of ā€˜code testā€™, so I automatically thought that if donā€™t work with Easel, useless to try.

Iā€™ll ask a friend that currently use Rhinocam by 2 or 3 year if he can ā€˜teachā€™ me on how to make basic toolpath. I actually found that Aspire is really really easy to use.

Personally, once you learn rhinocam, you will find it has more flexibility and capabilities. However, I learned on rhinocam and havenā€™t fooled enough with aspire to say that with certainty. But when trying to accomplish the same task, there didnā€™t seem to be as much level of control. They also have a lot of tutorials on their YouTube channel.

Yeah Rhinocam has probably a steeper learning curve than say meshcam, but once you get used to it, it really gives you lots of control options.

I carved these slingshot scales yesterday with the X-carve post. 6 hours of roughing (I donā€™t have rigidity mods atm and purpleheart is really really dense) and 2 hours for the finishing pass. Seems to be working perfectly.

1 Like

:frowning: