STL files from Amazon

Just 3 files downloaded and site wants me to buy an upgrade to continue downloading. It says I can wait 5 hours to continue downloading. LOL, I just wait and see what happens.

The file is 34.22 GB. However, the download speed is slow. Keeping my fingers crossed to receive this in one file.

1 Like

Hereā€™s an example of one of the asian heightmaps loaded into a 3d application (zbrush), if you have vcarve or aspire, I think you click model tab, and then ā€œcreate component from selected bitmapā€.

I hope this better explains why IMO heightmaps are better than STL files, all of the software packages above allow layering heightmaps and easy editing. When the heightmaps are already baked into STLs, itā€™s difficult to edit.

The Depth Map images can be brought into an image to gcode program directly like our PicLaser or PicEngrave Pro 5 which will generate depths of cut from the shades for spindle carving a relief or for laser power values to 3D laser engrave. I used one of the images you have to 3D laser engrave into Poplar, but I downloaded it free from here:

HobbyCNCArt

They have many other free relief downloads on there web site too.

1 Like

Iā€™m stuck at 14%. Sent an email to see if I can get an alternate link. At this rate it will take several days for me to download. Certainly not a deal breaker but it is disappointing.

I can create heightmaps from stlā€™s

I can as well. Do you have a cool tool for that or do you load it into a 3d app and render a z buffer? I render the zbuffer because I can render to an EXR, or something with more precision. That said, casting back and forth is a lossy process.

I would prefer to have a library of ā€˜nurniesā€™ and ā€˜greeblesā€™ that allows me to kitbash unique designs fairly quickly. Heightmaps allow that to be done in a snap, STLs no way. Iā€™ll post the process in another thread, I felt like I was hijacking Philā€™s.

I have several tools but I mainly use Zbrush.
It has the ability to capture the 3d geometry for normal maps and alpha maps.

1 Like

Contacted seller and he said it was a maintenance issue. Itā€™s not.
I rebooted my modem but I have the same IP address.
I had to buy a plan to download the files.
At least Iā€™m now able to download the files.

The total files add up to 34.22 GB. They are divided into about 30 individual rar files with multiple files in each. I was able to download about 7 so far when the quota was reached. The remaining files are selected and my guess will resume when the 5 hour time limit is up.

I contacted the seller and he indicated he is creating a site to assist with downloading. Said it would be up by tomorrow. In the meantime I will continue to download as much as I can.

1 Like

Wow, that looks really nice. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

i was thinking about this one

1 Like

I make custom 3D relief art from2D images and clip art. Hereā€™s a free STL sample of my work: Winged Cross

Link to my web site: cncproductionwork.com

4 Likes

Use a VPN connection. You can change your external IP every couple of downloads. As a plus, they donā€™t see your real IP. Thatā€™s how I downloaded mine after the first MAX DOWNLOAD QUOTA message. Like I said, all these complaints and each one is a big surprise, Very shady.

1 Like

To answer your previous question on file size.

Compressed is 30 files at 34.2 GB
Uncompressed is 77.7 GB, 4650 files, 1403 folders.

1 Like

A while back I posted some links to a bunch of free 3D files it only had a few visits I thinkā€¦

Pretty cool.

1 Like

Was that since I talked to you last night? What was the carve time?

WOW! What was the starting thickness of the material! That muzzle really sticks out there.

Free files!

2 Likes