V-carving in Easel

Me!!!

I would also be interested in trying this out.

We are still working on it but we are excited to see the enthusiasm!

7 Likes

I would love to see this make it out soon.

This is the feature that would make me buy an X-carve.

1 Like

I would certainly be interested as well. I am still trying to determine what is possible, but Carvey & Easel is getting me motivated. I think the more easel can do, the more tempting it makes your hardware.

1 Like

V-carving would be great

Count me in .
Is there an estimated date?
I don’t want to spend $ 349 more on Vectrics v carve :frowning2:

1 Like

For those looking for something they can try now. The November 2015 update of Autodesk Fusion 360 added a V Carve feature. You create a sketch, add your design (need to explode text so it’ll carve), then go into the CAM environment create a setup, then use the 2D engrave operation (remember to set the bottom depth to the bottom of the stock) and it’ll v-carve the design. Fusion 360 is free for enthusiast/startup use. I generate the g-code from Fusion and am currently importing it back into Easel (using the new feature in Easel) to send to the X-Carve. Works quite well so far, though I’m fairly new at CNC - I’ve been using Fusion 360 for 3D printed designs for almost 2 years and now I can use it for both 3D printing and CNC.

I should also mention that Fusion works for both Windows and Mac.

2 Likes

@StevePrior I have never used Fusion 360 , is there a tutorial somewhere to do this?
Thanks

It’s not as feature-complete as the Vectric stuff, but F-Engrave is free:

http://www.scorchworks.com/Fengrave/fengrave.html

Fusion has got quite a learning curve, but that’s because it’s really powerful. There are lots of tutorials on Youtube and the Autodesk website. The Fusion forum at Autodesk is really active and helpful - it’s happened to me several times that I asked a question about how to do something and within a few hours someone had actually recorded a screen session showing how to do it.

Could you please include me in the beta test?
Thanks

Definitely! As soon as this feature is available, I will add you guys and inform everyone in this thread.

1 Like

Me too please…

How do you import the F-Engrave gcode into Easel. What ‘type’ is it? Can you use the exported SVG files?

I would be VERY interested in V-Carving.

@Ruwan - Please add me to the list of testers.

Any updates on a timeline?

I’m interested as well !

I’ve been using jscut.org and f-engrave for v-cutting, and it would be great to have all my tools in one single place. I do A LOT of v-carving, I find it saves me from having to buy very thin bits and swap out during a job. I just put in a v-bit and run the job, and they come out looking amazing every time. I’d love to test this feature.