Visual comprehensive list of bits that are crossed referenced with materials

@Zach_Kaplan @paulkaplan is it possible to compile a visual comprehensive list of bits that are crossed referenced with materials for the current stock X-Carve (using DeWalt 611 and X-Controller…) with speeds/IPM/DOC…? It would be a great start and helpful jump-off point for those of us who can’t afford to ruin expensive materials and break bits often. Whats listed in easel is very limited to what you guys actually sell and we use. If possible it would be great if it could be crowd sourced so other users could add their successful setups. I’ve searched the forms up and down for this information and while there is a lot of stuff here in-regards to bits and settings it is all scattered and buried inside of random post. Thanks

2 Likes

We have a team working on something similar to this.

2 Likes

you know what would be great for new users is to create a app like vortex tool has

simple enter the material
type of cut to be made
equipment you have
etc.

and then it works on a database to recommend the best tool that Inventables has on hand

but here is the kicker make the app extremely easy to order tools like amazon does with there little clickers. make the app allow for 1 button ordering replacement or new tools

but I do think that the tools that Inventables sells are for the new user and it would be nice to see some specs on them for the more experienced user but I am not sure that it lines up with Inventables target market.

1 Like

Any idea or update on when we could see this feature?

1 Like

I saw a prototype today. They are making progress.

2 Likes

WOOHOO!!! :fist: Right on man!

2 Likes

@BlakeIngramDesign Here’s a really basic chart I put together showing 10 of our bits, and some categories of materials, and how well they should work together if you find good feeds and speeds:

I apologize if it’s tough to read, just let me know if you have questions about anything.

As for feeds and speeds, we’re in the process of running tests on our bits and materials so we can get updated settings into Easel. We’re using a process that Precise Bits came up with, tweaked slightly to work better for our machines:

Feed rate = # of flutes x RPM x chipload x bit diameter

Recommended chiploads:
Plastic: 0.03
Hardwood: 0.01
Softwood: 0.02
Aluminum: 0.002

Carvey RPM: 12,000
X-Carve + DeWalt 611 RPM: 18,000 (if running at max power)

So, if you were cutting plastic, you can look at the chart to see that the 1/8" 2 flute upcut fish tail is one of the bits that should give you a nice finish. If you’re running a DeWalt 611 at max power, you could start with:

Feed rate = 2 flutes x 18,000 RPM x 0.03 chipload x 0.125 bit diameter
Feed rate = 135

That would be your starting point. From there, you can try increasing it in increments of 10 until the settings prove to be too aggressive (increments of 8 for a 1/16" bit, and increments of 5 for a 1/32" bit).

For depth per pass, we like to start conservatively by doing about 25% of your bit diameter, then going up from there until you reach a point that’s too aggressive and your cut quality suffers.

Hope this helps!

5 Likes

Thanks @AlexBerger I’ll read over this and give a few of these settings a go. Cheers!

@AlexBerger

Hey alex I am just not so sure about these numbers (they seem really high for the x-carve. those are numbers that I have been running on my large machine with mostly compression spirals but i need more info from your chart)

Is it possible to post a larger image of the chart so we can read the text on it?

I would like to expand on the first comment but I want to make sure I don’t put my foot my mouth before I do so lol

also really quick what are you considering carve quality? edge finish? what about stepover/optimal load?
do you have images of the different surface finishes you have been able to produce with those numbers?

1 Like

@AlexBerger

quick question (kinda separate from above)

I know you must have had a few customers requesting info like this because you and the company is putting time into it but that aside what is the end goal with all these different numbers and recommendations for the individual that has just purchased the x-carve and has no knowledge of anything cnc or people in a classroom setting learning at school

imo chipload and surface finish abilities are really a art form because what works for 1 may not work for another

for the new user a base line is key but I guess I am just curious on what was wrong with the original base line in easel

the tools have not changed
and the machine (with exception of carvey) has not really changed a whole lot (machines after dewalt became standard I am meaning in this case)

maybe I just answered my own question maybe its because the numbers that are in easel currently where designed around that 300w spindle that I believe came on the original x-carve back in the day

so are we upgrading the numbers to match the dewalt and x-controller?

but even that being said I think that the numbers given to brand new no experience user should be extremely modest so they don’t get discouraged by automatically pushing there tools to the recommended chip-load which if your not careful can break a machine like the x-carve and the tools especially tools like the .0625" and .03125" which if you breath on those wrong they break

so i guess I am just curious about all of this and why you are doing it

I just feel that it really comes down to an art form and you can really never have number x and number y and it will work perfect everytime for someone I am even getting into expensive tooling now like coated tools and the whole ball game changes not to mention pcd tools but we are starting to go off on a tang ant lol

Why not try and supply more info? So Easel only represents 4 actual bits and that’s very vague in general to how many bits they sell and that are available elsewhere… I think at the least a little more info and guidance on the bits they sell and use with the equipment they sell would be of great use to someone as myself, who aren’t as fortunate to have the experience that you have in this exact matter… I’m fully aware of all the variables involved but I know there’s more info and guidance to be shared.

1 Like

I second the request for a larger/higher res version of the list so it can be read :wink: thanks!

1 Like

@BlakeIngramDesign @WorkinWoods Thanks for your feedback. I’m posting the file for the chart, hopefully you’ll be able to download it and see it in more detail.

The extremely broad baseline is:
Upcut bits generally give the cleanest edge for plastics
Downcut bits generally give the cleanest edge for things like wood, plywood, etc that splinter; they’re also good for very thin materials because they don’t pull the sheet up while cutting

You guys are correct that this stuff really is an art form, and what works for one person may not work for another. That’s why we’re starting our testing with Carvey - there’s only one version of the machine, so the spindle is a known.

Next, we’ll move on to X-Carve. The most common router being used now is the DeWalt 611. The settings in Easel are very conservative, and meant more for the older 300W spindle.

We want to keep the settings on the conservative side so we’re not pushing new users too far. But we’d also like to speed up carves wherever possible without sacrificing a good edge finish.

Ultimately, we want to get all our color-coded bits into Easel. We have 4 in there now, and hope to grow that to ~10 in the coming weeks. We’ve mocked up some ways to have Easel recommend a few bits that may work for your design and would like to push something like that out in the future.

Please let me know if you have any more questions. I’m learning more and more as we get into testing, but am open to suggestions and feedback!

1 Like

Bit selector (151.5 KB)

3 Likes

I Third the request for a larger/higher res version of the list so it can be read. That would be a really nice thing to print out Thanks @AlexBerger

@KennethMaddux Is this one better? I apologize, I’m having a hard time getting a higher res version!

4 Likes

You can always save it as an SVG… :wink:

Yes thank you very much.Getting old eyes stinks

@DamnitJim Good call! Attached. Are you guys sick of me yet? haha

2 Likes

@BobJewell Ha thanks! Totally agree :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like