What do i need

Hi I’m thinking of buying an X Carve 500mm. and i was just wanting to know what i would need to purchase to be ready to carve when it arrived. would i need to buy the dewalt 611 router and the spindle as well?. plus the power supply and wiring. this is so confusing. Any help would be appreciated.

If you want to go with the Dewalt 611, you can order the 611 spindle mount from Inventables but I believe you have to order the 611 from somewhere else (like Amazon or Home Depot). The power supply for the 611 is just wall power, so you will need a plug or extension cord for it. If you choose to go with one of the spindles that Inventables offers, you may be able to buy a power supply for it.

From what I hear, the 300W spindle is no longer available. We tend to use the word “spindle” interchangeably, it is just used to describe whatever is actually spinning the bit, like the 611.

If you go through the order process and put everything in your cart that you need, then put the list up on here, we can provide you with advice on what you need, what you don’t, and whether everything will play together. It’s too hard to be able to tell you what you need to get since there’s so many different options. It would help if you let us know what you want to cut (softwood, hardwood, aluminum, etc.) so that we can tell you if your over- or under-engineering it. :smile:

1 Like

FWIW, the Makita RT0701C weighs less than the DeWalt. See here for the mount.

Hi Robert. Thanks for the reply. I live in the united kingdom and it says on the order form dewalt 611 spindle and mount is us voltage only. So would it not work in the UK? If not any suggestions on what spindle to buy that would fit the same mount. Sorry to be a pain but I’m new to all this. I don’t want to order the wrong stuff as its not like I can just pop down to the store and change it. I would have to wait another 3-4 weeks both ways to return and receive from the UK.

Hi again Robert… Plus I will be carving and cutting mostly 20mm soft pine and some MDF. So would the nema 17 stepper motors be OK for that or should I upgrade to the nema 23. Thanks again.

Dewalt has a similar router model available for the UK that is 220 instead of 110VAC, you can find its information at Dewalt 611 uk version. I believe it’s the same dimensions so the Inventables spindle would hold it, but you should verify that with either Inventables or someone that already has it.

As for the steppers, the NEMA 17’s may not have enough power or torque to move the Dewalt at a decent speed. If the price difference isn’t too much, I’d recommend the NEMA 23’s just so they can keep up with the weight of the Dewalt and the speed at which it can cut.

Hi robert here is my shipping list so far. I will be cutting dog shapes out of 20mm soft pine.

X-Carve

X-Carve Core Components
X-Carve 500mm Rail Kit
Black MakerSlide, extrusions and GT2 belts
X-Carve ACME Lead Screw Kit
ACME lead screw, Delrin nut and hex nut
X-Carve 500mm Waste Board Kit
Waste board with threaded inserts and hardware (clamps not included)
X-Carve NEMA 23 Stepper Motor Kit
Four 140oz-in stepper motors, pulleys, hardware
X-Carve DeWalt 611 Spindle Mount
Mount and hardware (spindle not included)
X-Carve Arduino/gShield Motion Controller Kit
Arduino, gShield, enclosure, fan, USB cable, wire, hardware
X-Carve Power Supply Kit
24V / 16.7A / 400W Power supply, interface PCB, power cord and hardware
X-Carve 500mm Wiring Kit
Cable, terminal blocks, hardware
X-Carve 500mm Drag Chain Kit
Drag chain, mounting brackets, hardware
X-Carve Limit Switch Kit
Switches, wire and hardware
High Speed Steel 2 Flute Upcut Spiral
Onsrud bit with 1/4" shank and cutting diameter, good for woods and soft metals