X-Carve in New Zealand

X-Controller where are you?

Standard 750 X-Carve. Changes made include a plug on the DeWalt for easy removal, I shielded the DeWalt power cable in a wire braid to reduce EMI and ran it in the drag chain. Also extended the Y axis drag chain all the way. Replaced the Inventables eccentric spacers with OpenBuild ones and added some longer bolts here and there. Now all thatā€™s needed is the controllerā€¦dust here I come.

Thanks to @sketch42 for helping fine tune the mechanical parts.

3 Likes

No worries mate! Itā€™s gonna be a great addition to your shop.

Itā€™s nice to get together and talk about our similar interests.

this guyā€¦

1 Like

Super easy @PhilJohnson. These new models are super easy and fast to assemble.

2 Likes

Iā€™m al for a meet up at some time Iā€™m in palmerston north

1 Like

Who else would like to meet up and how far are we willing to travel?

Hi Guys,

Does anyone here know where in Auckland i can get the Dewalt 611 router fixed. It is from inventables, the 240V version and i took it to the Dewalt repair place off of highbrook drive in auckland who said they donā€™t fix them because they are from overseas.

The router is sparking heavily and running inconsistently and sometimes stops, i have tried replacing the brushes with no success - any ideas what might be wrong with it?

thanks!

Hello Kiwis, I am wanting to upgrade my MDF waste board to the aluminum HFSQN4-15250-500 extrusions from Misumi. However they do not list New Zealand on their website registration form. Has anyone from Aotearoa got them?

Does Misumiā€™s South East Asia site deliver to NZ?

yeah, that looks like it will. not sure why it wants me to set up a corporate account to use the webstore. will look into it more.

guys, Iā€™m keen to get an x carve but it looks like itā€™ll cost me ~30% of the cost of one just for shipping into NZ (thatā€™s not including any customsā€¦). how did you guys get yours? is there a smart way to do this ?

The biggest shipping cost is the wasteboard. If you havenā€™t already take it out and get a sheet of 18MM MDF from a hardware store. I have found that Mitre 10 will cut it for you for free or like $2 depending on how they feel on the day from that you will get 2 wasteboards + off cuts for ~$50 you will need to drill it and route the edges but there are plenty of people on here who have done this and can help.

You could also cut out the sideboard. Its nice to have to route cables and keep things in one place but is by no means required.

However donā€™t remove the router. Inventables get a good deal from dewalt. If you where to buy in NZ it would be well over double the cost so you wonā€™t make any savings there even if you could get it as they where removing it from stock when I got mine as most people where( for good reason) unwilling to pay $400+ for one.

Thanks for the replies guys. Yeah Iā€™ve already taken out the waste board and the sideboard. I already have a dewalt trim router as well so donā€™t need to buy it. So it comes to about USD$1250 and then they slap on another USD$320 for shipping which just feels like a waste. That makes it ~$2600NZD all up and thatā€™s assuming no customs tooā€¦
Day-em!

Hi @JohnnyHuang

Yeah, I hear yaā€¦ shipping to NZ is a pain sometimes, but compared to the cost of similar machines available here in NZ the X-carve still wins even when shipping and customs are factored. When I was ordering mine, everything available here in NZ was $5000 before shipping and even looking around now for something looks like nothing really comes in under $3000 (for the smallest ones). Itā€™s a stink situation, but is probably the main contributing factor to why most us us here in this thread bought the X-carve instead of others.

Customs can be a little hit and miss.
I had no duties added when I got mine. Recently a friend got one, it was split into 2 shipments (I am guessing due to available stock at the time), one package he got, the other Customs sat on.
One thing seems constant though, the international shipping is fast but once it gets in country, it is slow. Also, I found mine dumped on the front porch when I got home from work, no signature was requested - damn dodgy couriers.

hey @sketch42

I just stumbled upon this thread. Iā€™m just outside Chch and I donā€™t have an X-Carve, but I do have one of the first production runs of the original ShapeOko from Inventables. Shipping was free b/c I brought it home in my suitcase and Iā€™ve been modifying it since then and it still works great.

Iā€™ve been wanting to get longer makerslide rails and canā€™t find them anywhere closer than Inventables. I might have to bring an X-carve back with me in June.

If anyone on this thread is in the Christchurch area, maybe a meetup is in order.

1 Like

Cool!

What size is your machine?

Im in Lincoln.

Do you want to share shipping? I considered buying a new wide maker slide for my 1m machine.

The original size. 375mm. Iā€™ve upgraded nearly everything except the size :slight_smile: