X-Carve in New Zealand

Hi Alan.

I’m not sure I’m going to ship it here, but if I do, sure thing. I’m actually thinking of bringing back bits in my extra luggage allowance on a trip to the US in June. I’m pretty sure a 1m rail will fit diagonal in a standard full-size suitcase. What are you after specifically, just 1m of the new X rail extrusion?

Yes I was after 1m wide maker slide to upgrade my older xcarve. Don’t worry about me since you have other plans.

you will get stung for gst and a host of other charges . anything over $400.00 and you are in the gun , sorry to bring bad news but I have been down that track

Has anyone considered sourcing parts from aliexpress? They have nearly everything you need to build an X-Carve (except for wide makerslide) and their prices are same or much lower than inventables and often include DHL shipping to NZ.

I’m somewhat interested, as an experiment at least initially, to source and build an X-Carve from Chinese parts and make it available in NZ as a kit. I’m pretty sure that Inventables sources some of their components from these same suppliers.

If anyone else is interested in brainstorming a KiwiCarve endeavour, let me know!

hey Russell,

I’d be keen to get involved. I see some NZ kits here for about $3000-$4000 & obviously kiwis are very sensitive to price points.

russel and johnny were in nz are you im in palmerston north I own a x carve cheers

1 Like

I’m just outside Christchurch.

Also, a general update on my attempt at building an X-Carve from scratch in NZ…

I’ve source nearly all the parts to build a 2017 X-Carve from Aliexpress, eBay and a few things from Inventables. I’m still waiting on some m2 bolts from aliexpress to secure the limit switches. I’ll be taking some photos and itemising the costs and sharing that here (in a dedicated topic thread) when the time comes.

That’s awesome!

Yeah true. I did try a few local shops, but they didn’t have anything small, no RC shops near me either. For me it’s much easier to order and wait.

I got…

M3 x 18mm socket cap head screws (50pcs)
M2 x 20mm socket cap head screws w/ nuts (20pcs)

…all for NZ$3.58 shipped.

I’d burn that much in petrol just getting myself to Rangiora :wink:

Some of the items I did get from Inventables are listed below. The main reasons for this were: 1) items weren’t available anywhere else, 2) they are within the customs $400 threshold, and 3) quality & support for some of the more important components

1. 1000mm wide makerslide
  2. 1000mm black makerslide rails (x2)
  3. 52mm spindle carriage
  4. eccentric spacers

I got the following from ebay:

1. 18/4 wire
  2. limit switches

… and everything else was from aliexpress, including the x-carriage extrusion (which I think is probably from the same factory that makes it for Inventables)

1 Like

I am surprised you didn’t get the limit switches from aliexpress also, I got a 10 pack for $1.70 there. Same with the E-Stop and Green/Yellow/Red backlit switches for the controller.
Also a bunch of T-slot nuts, M5 bolts, Dial Indicator & 500mm 20120 aluminum extrusion to use as a bed (when I get around to replacing the waste board).

1 Like

I just didn’t find the exact limit switches (SS-5GL2) when I was searching.

I already have a controller from my ShapeOko, but phase 2 will be upgrading all the electronics.

Can you describe how you are going to build a bed with the 20120? Do you only have a 500mm x-carve?

This was mainly an exercise to see if a machine could be built for less than just buying the kit. Publishing my results might help others put together a kit themselves and save some money here in NZ. I haven’t added up everything yet, but I’m pretty sure it’s coming in well under NZ$1k.

1 Like

yeah, just got a 500 X-Carve, but it is all the area I need for now. Easy enough to upgrade if need be.
I got 4 lengths of 20120 to lay side by side, bolted to the 2020 rails. I will mod 2 of them a little to clear the Y rollers. Pretty much the same as others when using HFSQN4-15250-500 extrusions from Misumi. THen I can use the clamps with T-slots, or get one of them low profile parallel-jaw vices from aliexpress for work holding.
I did try to get the HFSQN4-15250-500 extrusions from Misumi that would only need 2 side by side (as other here have), but I could not buy from their website due to not having a company registration, it was pain full with all emails back and forth with them.

Hey All! Hamilton user here. Don’t have an X-Carve and was looking at getting one for a birthday present for a woodworking father-in-law and totally not for prototyping computer cases myself. But seeing the price when not only ordering a 1000mm, but the shipping costs and customs ballooning this price to well past my budget, have made me think twice.

Very interested in what @RusselWerner is cooking up, and for under 1k it’s a no-brainer, even with assembly required.

I have all the parts now, but assembling is low priority at the moment for me. I will be documenting everything once I get started. It will be my winter evening project. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey NZ X-Carve Friends! I’m not a current owner of an X-Carve but are really interested in purchasing one (or something similar). Do any of you know a current owner that would like to sell theirs? Or is it just better to buy one new?

Thanks!

Brad.

Hi Brad,

Where are you located?

By the response it looks like there aren’t many X-Carvers in NZ that are wanting to part with their machine, but there are some with tips on how to save money when buying a new one.

Hey Sketch42,

I’m based in Nelson.

Ooo, would love some tips on how to save when buying a new one. Any suggestions?

Brad.

I’m sure others on here have a few more ideas, but to get started, get the router here in NZ (I prefer the Makita) and definitely DIY the waste board.

What size are you looking at?

Awesome! I saw in a previous comment that making a DIY waste board is better. What model Matika router do you use?