Z axis wont move after updating to V. 3.10

Why does none of your wiring patterns match? Not saying it’s bad, but struck me as unconventional.

I was going to flag the bottom white wire, but released that it doesn’t go to a motor.

that white wire is just an extra from the cable, cause its a 4 wire cable but i only used 2 of them for the z touch probe so i left it in case i ever need extra wire for something.

1 Like

That’s very inconsistent, the reason I thought it was 13 equals one is because I figured if the machine was on metric and easels on inches you weren’t actually seeing the move because it was such small amounts being moved when you had it up. 1 inches which were actually millimeters if that makes any sense. But now it’s not working that way either, it’s weird that it was working when we made the initial switch. I’ll have to think on that s a bit, have you tried tech support?

i have not yet. wanted to try here first in case it was just something stupid i was missing.

Just seems to me like there is a ground wire loose or something that keeps connecting or disconnecting inside the controller, but since I don’t use the xcontroller I don’t no where to have you look

hmmm now that you say that it has me thinking. when you had me switch the 13 to =1 i had the back plate off cause i was looking at it before to see if anything was loose. i might take another look at it and see

1 Like

ok tried taking the back plate off again and still nothing. i guess ill just have to wait till monday and contact support cause im at a complete loss and about ready to go back to the old controller and junk this one.

You can always return it and build your own for a lot less :slight_smile:

haha i doubt i can return it when i got it over a year ago (yep ordered it on 9-15-16) and just now installed it lol. i just want it to work i mean the problem isnt even consistent which is making it worse.

I still think it’s a loose connection somewhere.

for the time being im going to email support and link this forum and the vid and see what happens

i have tried Universal g code sender and it has the same issue where Z will not move.

If you power off, unplug your Y steppers (Because the Y is working.), plug your Z in a Y connector, power on, connect, do you get any motion?

ok so if i power off the x controller and plug all the motor in the correct plug with the exception of z being plugged right into the controller and no through the terminal blocks all 3 axis move. then when i do a wire test with my volt meter i am not getting a beep from the first terminal block to the next. this has me believing that it has to be the wiring that is running through the drag chain causing a short. what do you guys think?

That would be a problem.

Ok, so as i thought im an idiot!! after all the testing and trouble shooting and all your help (which i am still very very grateful for) it turns out it was just a wire switched at the plug going into the X controller. i thought stepper motors were like rc esc where it didnt matter in which order the wires were in but that is not the case with the stepper motors at least not for the X controller. it turns out the red/white wire need to be next to each other and the black/green wire need to be next to each other. it was just dumb luck i wired the other 3 motors right the first time. So again im an idiot and it is always the stupid little things that will get you in the end. but in any case im very happy its working again and i can finally use the new cabinet/stand i made. Thanks again for all the help!!

2 Likes

Haha! Yup, order matters with stepper motor wiring.
Weird that the wires got flipped around with the Easel local update. :wink: