Any interest in a Makita RT0701 spindle mount for X-Carve

The latches are a great idea — I used an HDPE mount for a long while on my machines and it worked well. Currently setting up an aluminum mount which I bought on eBay though.

Source for the latches?

If you don’t mind (and if you do, ignore) how much did you pay for that mount?

$29.90: http://www.ebay.com/itm/261695348731

I believe it will keep the router reasonably close to the plate, and I’m hoping it will stiffen the carriage plate a bit as well. On the downside, I have to drill and possibly tap mounting holes and will need to make yet another dust shoe.

Hopefully this will hold me until I finally can justify getting a Kress spindle.

I hear you. I have drilled and tapped holes in every piece of metal associated with the x-carve. You shouldn’t need to drill and tap your plate though. Drill and tap the mount you bought matching the holes in your plate. Even so, I am on my fourth or fifth plate. You just pull it off, clamp it to a 1/4" thick piece of aluminum and cut a new one on your chop saw. Then, drill right through your old holes into the aluminum. Each hole you drill, put a screw through to keep alignment. voila - a new plate! You can even add a third set of v-wheels on your new plate.

(it could be I am addicted to cutting and tapping metal… forgive me).

I used dewalt mounting and 3d print some spacer and air deflector.

I posted the STL for the spacers on this forum:

hello.

latches:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100Kg-220-Lbs-Quick-Holding-Capacity-Latch-Hand-Tool-Toggle-Clamp-5-Pcs-/321904613247?hash=item4af302977f:g:pmgAAOSweW5VbX2c

@Earwigger, it came free, a friend cut the HDPE (i recycled from and old butcher chopping board) for free. I guess it can be done with xcarve also. (not with standard spindle, as i blew 3 end millls trying.

hope it helps.

warren

Just a quick reminder guys, I have 13 people on the list for these mounts. I need 12 for it to be cost effective to have them made. Of those 13 people, only 4 have replied to the email I sent, confirming your interest in the mount. I’ll give this more time but unless I get more orders in the next week or so. I’ll have to cancel this run.

John, thanks for the update.

Come on people, pony up! :slight_smile:

I cannot find any email from you in my inbox.

Sorry about the delay John. You should have received my details in my two responses by email.

John, I just signed up. If one frees up, let me know.

Thanks

Hello John!!
I fill the page just now.I´m on time to receive one mount??

Hi John,

Any update on this? I finally got my custom x-carve up and running last night. First carve thanfully was flawless, though only using plywood. I’m pretty sure when I get around to aluminimum this mount will be sorely needed.

Cheers

Eli Makita on jo jotenkin kiinni? Jos näin on, niin ei tämä mountti sen ihmeellisempi ole. Omani voin vaikka myydä jos välttämättä tuollaisen haluat. Kovaan hintaan tietenkin :smile:

Sorry Jyrki, although my name is Finnish, I’m born and bred in Australia and my father never taught me. Thankfully Google can help translate some of what you said, and you were offering to sell me yours for 1 BILLLLION dollars :wink:

Haha!

Well, as I wrote (in Finnish), apparently your Makita is already mounted somehow? This mount is OK, but it probably isn’t any better than the mount that you already have. Also, the router could have been mounted a good 10-15 mm closer to the gantry. This mount has that extra space that is not needed and that doesn’t really help with deflection. If you are using the DeWalt mount from Inventables with shims, stick with that. Or if you must, get any of the other 65 mm spindle mounts that you can find online. That billion dollars would have been the price I paid. But I am not going to ship abroad.

1 Like

Yes, you are correct I’m using one of the dewalt mounts with a shim. So far it’s been fine, though I haven’t tried any Aluminium milling to see what sort of deflection I’m getting with my shim. I appreciate the candid feedback and given the U.S. /Aus exchange rate it’ll help not buying this and focusing on getting a 1/8th collet instead.
Wow, Google was so far off for the rest of your message I’m glad for some good old human translation! Thanks for the heads up Jyrki

Unless the shim is made of rubber, you’ll be fine. The Z-axis itself and the rest of the frame is a wobbly POS in stock configuration. You will need to do the stiffening mods. My first actual project with the machine was this recoil pad:
https://discuss.inventables.com/t/recoil-pad-for-arfx-ace-skeleton-stock/20747

At first I made a mistake in Fusion CAM and did not cut the sides first and was cutting the top with a ball bit. The Z-axis was flexing like crazy. My machine is now in parts and I am in the process of installing a Microcarve Z-axis, just like the one that is pictured above. I am not an engineer, but neither is the person(s) who designed this machine. Or if they are, I think they should demand a refund from their alma mater… :imp:

Machine translation doesn’t work very well with Finnish. I’m sure nobody is interested, but loosely translated I wrote: “So Makita is already mounted somehow? If so, this mount isn’t a miracle maker. If you insist, I can sell you mine. For a high price of course :smile:

Hi John
Can you tell me how much the total price for one complete mount inc. shipping to Switzerland would be?
Thanks a lot!

oh and btw: im not planning to use that mount for the xcarve, it is for my own diy cnc. that means that for the baseplate, i dont need the holes and drillings for your xcarve setup, the baseplate would need to fit only for your “mounting-rings”