DeWalt DWP611 Spindle

If you mean speed dial on it, it’s not making any difference. Slowest speed is lot faster than stock DC spindle anyway. I adjust it 3 for reasonable noise level. I think best way to use it between 2 to 4, depends on bit size. I only used speed 2 for waste board surface cleaning with 3/4" flat.

So far I am seeing some vast improvement over the stock spindle. I have been trying to make progress on V-Carving for the last month or so and each attempt was ending in frustration. Sunday I ran the code (from V-Carve Pro Trial) for their v-carved box lid and it came out great in both MDF and Walnut using the stock setting of 100 in/min feed and 30 in/min plunge.

It is temping me to buy V-Carve Pro seeing that the machine is reacting much better with the increased horsepower.

9 Likes

Looks fantastic.

Wow, 100 in/min feed! I was running 40 on the stock spindle, thats more than double! Im exited now, but havent connected the Dewalt up yet, Im waiting for my relay to come in so I do the change over all at once!! What is he depth of cut? On the stock spindle I was at about .03 in, 40% overlap!

This is full depth V-Carving so there isn’t really a defined depth per pass. The deepest portions are around 1/4"-3/8". The optimization of the tool pathing I think plays a big part in the success when V-Carving. It was pretty fun to watch the machine make those sweeping paths down to full depth with no chatter. These carved in around 15-20 minutes each.

I did go ahead and order a copy of V-Carve Pro so that I can start doing more of this type of work with custom designs.

BlairHarp - where do you get your artwork? Or did you create that? Can you post the “*.crv” file? It’s awesome!

When you get V-Carve Pro experiment with the 3D carving. That is amazing to watch and all you need is a ball nose bit.

Also, the tutorials on their site are great - I always learn something and find it interesting that the guy sounds like John Oliver but uses inches instead of metric.

This in particular was one of their sample projects - you can get the file from here:

http://www.vectric.com/cool-stuff/projects/2011/paradise-box.html

It is the lid of this box. It is one of the sample projects it will let you generate gcode for in the trial version.

Blair

1 Like

Hey Alan,

Nice job, as I’m not great at electrical any chance of posting a wiring diagram? Also where did you purchase your relay and project box?

ordered a 611 router, inventables mount and a 1/8 collet adapter today.

1 Like

Is this one a good?
http://www.amazon.com/Lightobject-ESSR-40DAC-Solid-State-Relay/dp/B00HUBZO7Q/ref=sr_1_fkmr3_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1437185209&sr=8-2-fkmr3&keywords=Solid+State+Relay+Module+SSR-25DA+25A+%2F250V+3-32V+DC+Input+24-380VAC+Output

That’s what you need. Go ahead and order it, I’ll draw wiring diagram for it.
Project box from Fry’s electronics, you just need 110V in and out plug sockets attached to it.

Great! Did you use a heat sink for the relay?

I was thinking to do that, but it’s not heating. As you can see, I left open window for enough ventilation. Don’t have any problems yet. When I start carving, Dewalt is working about 2 hours at a time with no problems.

I try to make it clear, Hope it helps.

5 Likes

That seems easy enough, are you using the yellow and black wires from the switch on the p/s? or does it just start as soon as you switch the p/s on?

Those two wires for Stock Spindle, as soon as you send job, activates relay. You don’t need anything else. But you must accept the fact, speed control will be manual from devalt.

1 Like

I had great fun with my Dewalt 611 and my XCarve 1000 today. I got it all set up and was testing using MDF. I used the feed / speed numbers from GWizard and ran it with a Feedrate of 270, plunge at 130 and the RPM at 16000. That thing flew around cutting that MDF like it was butter! I was like a kid standing there watching it with a big grin on my face. I did run into some issues with both the X and the Y axis losing steps. I am not sure if it is because of the extra weight or the extra speed but a bit more juice added via the pots and everything is as good as gold. Next step, water cooled spindle :smiley:

1 Like

Now you got me all giddy as well! I haven’t been this anxious since I was waiting for the delivery of my x-carve. I have my Dewalt dwp 611 in hand still in the box. Just waiting on the mount from Inventables. Anyone know how long it takes for them to ship it? I live in Texas and when they shipped the x carve it only took 3 days to get it. Ordered the mount 4 days ago and no word from them yet.

Hi @CharleyThomas, one thing you may want to consider is to order all of the eccentric nuts, spacers, v-wheels etc for the mount. Otherwise you are transferring them from one mount to another every time you want to switch spindles. Sorry I can’t comment on shipping as I am up in Canada and it took about 10 days after I ordered it before I got it. Surely you won’t have to wait that long. And don’t forget the 611 only has a 1/4" collet, if you want a 1/8" you need to order a collect or adapter. I had to order mine this morning.

1 Like

I know about the collet adapter but hadn’t considered the additional hardware for the mount. Would you happen to know how many of each part I will need or is the same as the stock spindle mount?