DXF import app 2.0 released

Hi @Miskha,
I picked up one of the files and were able to import it. It might take a bit longer to import since the files are on the large side. Here is the Easel project Easel - DXF Import Test - 3axis

If you have a specific file you are having issues with please post it here!

1 Like

Tried using the dxf converter, but cant get it to work with this. I use a file downloaded from thingiverse, and trying to carve it on my CNC 3018 with a 3.17mm end mill. I want to do it both in either a carbon sheet or aluminium. But want to try it on wood first. The problem is when i try to import it, it shows up on the left, but on the preview on the right it doesn’t show up, also it wont let me export g code or anything. Hope you can help me @KacperMarcisz Base.dxf (86.5 KB)

Don’t know if this will help but I imported your file into Easel

Hi @SimonJensen,
I was able to import the file, here’s the Easel project

I will file a ticket in our system for the original DXF file as I had to modify it slightly for it to import fine.

Thanks,
Kacper

1 Like

@RussellCrawford
@KacperMarcisz

Thank you!

1 Like

Hello, trying to import a dxf file but it gets stuck on loading. nothing happens after that.
thanks

VERTICAL BRACE.dxf (139.8 KB)

I’m new to CNC routing and forums in general, so I’m not sure this is the correct way to post (as a reply).
I just got my x-carve. It works great and I love it. At first I loved Easel, but I am already discovering some of its limitations…but that’s another issue.
My grandson is after me to make him a Star Wars figure. I found one which I could download as .svg or .dxf. I tried .svg because at the time that appeared to be the only format I could import. But the design was all separated lines, so I couldn’t use it.
I was then delighted to discover the DXF import app! But as with many others, the design was 25 times larger than it should have been. You have asked others to post the file here so you can have a look. I would do that if I could figure out how!
Thanks,
Steve

Welcome to the forum Steve,
When you reply to a comment in the box you will see image that button, click on it and upload your file. Are you familiar with InkScape? You can take the SVG file and connect the lines so you can use it in Easel. InkScape is a free program that works well when creating SVG images.
Russell

Hi Russel!

I am not familiar with InkScape. But I soon will be!
Thanks for the tip!

Steve

Hi again Russell,

I now have InkScape. I opened the .svg file and was able to successfully combine the lines to make a closed shape. However… When I bring the combined image into Easel I don’t have the option of cutting outside the shapes, which I need to be able to do. When I select the shape the “Cut Path” dialog box does not open. My only option is to cut on the lines.
Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Steve

Hi @CristianPerez,
The model you are trying to import is a 3d design. DXF import only works with 2D designs. You would need to re-export the design from AutoCAD as a 2d drawing only and try again.

Thanks,
Kacper

Can you share the file? The lines need to be joined

tiefighter combined

This is a little tie fighter which is a part of the larger toy. I thought I’d start with something small.

Thanks.
Steve

Ok, I was able to join them. Check out these older discussions about joining nodes
https://discuss.inventables.com/search?q=join%20nodes

Can you share with me how you did this?
I have tried and tried again to find a way to use Inkscape to do what you did. So far unsuccessfully.
I looked at the nodes discussion and was very soon in over my head.
I have spent some time with the Inkscapes tutorias, but they are not well written and proved very frustrating.
Thanks.
Steve

They have a lot of people in this forum that use InkScape more than I do, I design mostly in CorelDraw but if someone doesn’t give you good instructions I can call you later and we can go over it. I’m headed out right now but should return around 7:00 pm central time.
Thanks and good luck
985-290-0572 Russell
Text me your number if you want me to call you later.

Hey Steve,
Check my inkscape post here:

1 Like

Thank you, thank you!
Yes, it works. And I don’t have a scaling problem (that I know of)!

Steve

2 Likes

Neither did the guy in that thread… He has a bigger machine.

Mine keeps saying it’s loading, but nothing happens. Has this been happening to others?