Easel Cabinetmaker Updates - Week of 7/14/2023

Hey, folks! Apologies for the lack of an update last week. We’ve got two weeks worth of updates to make up for it!

Upcoming Developments

• Add recommended cut settings for cabinetry carving bit sets
  • Revisit PDF cut list exploration
  • Update room layouts tooltip and image thumbnails
  • Asymmetrical dimensions for 90-degree corner cabinets
  • Exploration of cost estimate tool
  • Inset drawer faces
  • Easel Cabinetmaker data migration
  • Better cabinet panel naming and labeling
  • Update cabinet positioning and placement functionality

In Progress

• Dado/Fixed shelves
  • Shelves for 90° Corner Cabinets
  • Bifold Doors for 90° Corner Cabinets
  • New cabinet type: 90° Wall Corner Cabinet
  • Update blind base cabinet default height

Released/Completed this week

• Update shelf geometry for inset doors

• Back panel dado geometry fix

• Update door hinge info that is listed for inset doors

• Option to turn off hardware-mounting holes for hinges and drawer slides

• Filler panels

• New cabinet type: Blind Corner Base Cabinet

• New cabinet type: 90° Corner Base Cabinet

• New door front style: Glass frame (currently just for wall cabinets)

Thanks for reading! Please feel free to reach out in this thread if you have questions, comments, or feedback related to this update. Have a great weekend!

5 Likes

These updates are phenomenal. I love to see where this is going each week!

2 Likes

Will the glass door option eventually extend to base cabinets?

1 Like

Thank you for the hardwork! Can you please add back the option for 3/16 holes for the shelf pegs . I like using 1/8” compression bits . They are so much quieter and then 1/4” .

The 90° Corner Base Cabinet is not correct… it needs to be redesigned. Lets talk!

1 Like

Great suggestion. We heard this from a couple other folks and I’m working on getting this done right now.

1 Like

Awesome, thanks Brian!

This is now available. It did expose that we need the ability to target door/drawer style separately. For now glass doors on lowers will default to plain front drawers. Let me know if you have any other feedback.

For the glass framed doors, I see there’s an inset for placing the glass in, but what’s the recommended mounting process for securing the back of it? I might not have looked in the right places, but couldn’t seem to find a lot of information around the glass options.

Additionally, anyone try it out for making a shaker-style door to save on the cutting time required to mill out the shaker panel and/or running a two-stage mill on them? Thinking this might be fairly quick and painless to cut out the glass door frame, and just inset a board in place of the glass and still get the shaker style. Looks like ~1-2 hours saved if using a 1/4" bit across the piece - Estimated 3:26 on a 2.5" Shaker, 2:15 for the glass door if running a .5" deep rabbet to nearly match the shakers. This would obviously require a glue-up and touching up, but there’d be finish work required for the shaker as well, so spending less than an hour per door is pretty substantial across the entire project, so weighing the options there.

1 Like

Love the progress. Is there a way to make just drawer boxes or just cabinet doors without having to have a box around it? Also any progress on adding face frame bases and uppers? Great work!

-Matthew

1 Like

Hi Camry!

There are a variety of options you could use to install the glass panel into the glass frame doors - silicone caulk, adhesive strips, wood trim, turn button fasteners, glazing points, and sorts of other stops and bumpers. There are pros and cons to each approach, ranging from cost, ease of replacing the glass panel in case of breakage, and visibility of the fixture from the front side of the door. Silicone and wood trim are very popular options in my experience.

As for your question/suggestion about using the glass frame doors to make an even quicker shaker door, that’s a great idea! I don’t think anyone on our team has tried that yet, but we’d love to hear how it goes if you give it a try!

Thank you for sharing your questions and feedback! We hope to keep hearing from you as you continue using Easel Cabinetmaker!

-Natalie

1 Like

Hi Matthew!

Thanks for your support! There’s not currently a direct way in Easel Cabinetmaker to only make cabinet doors or drawers. That said, we’ve got some clever users who have come up with some work-arounds to this limitation. I’d advise you to check out the posts below for more info!

As for face frames, I’m very excited to let you know that we are in the early stages of investigating this functionality - with the plan of developing an intitial implementation of face frames over the next month or so. From there, we plan to continue iterating on improvements to face frames to meet the needs of our users. You can keep an eye on our progress with face frame construction each through the updates we share each weekend!

Thanks again for sharing your feedback! Don’t hesitate to reach out if you have additional questions or comments about the software!

-Natalie

Any updates? I had sent a design to Natalie.